Connect to telescope with folder monitor camera.

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
sunslayr

Connect to telescope with folder monitor camera.

Post by sunslayr »

Hi can anyone tell me if its possible to control my ascom telescope in the folder monitor mode of sharp cap? I would like to consolidate my workflow and use the built in sharpcap plate solving feature with my mirrorless camera. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Connect to telescope with folder monitor camera.

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, this should be possible. You can connect SharpCap to the Mount, capture a frame using some other camera, and then load it into the folder Monitor camera or the testing camera and plates solve.

Cheers, Robin
sunslayr

Post by sunslayr »

That's what I thought, but I can't seem to find a way to sync it to the telescope. When I switch to folder monitor camera the "Scope Controls" tab including its plate solve and sync buttons disappears. The only other thing I can do is a blind plate solve but I'm not sure how to syn it to the mount.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah yes, that makes sense now I think about it. Try using the deep sky test camera instead – that definitely allows you to connect a hardware and you can choose any single frame file that you want to be the image that is used to display. It won't pick up new images arriving in a folder so there's an extra step of browsing for a new frame when you want to change the image being used, but it should work.

Cheers, Robin