Orion SSAG & Sharpcap (ASCOM)

Outcast

Orion SSAG & Sharpcap (ASCOM)

Post by Outcast »

I have managed to get my Orion SSAG up & running in Sharpcap using the native drivers together with ASCOM platform & the associated Orion SSAG ASCOM driver.

However, it appears that the ASCOM driver is a 32bit driver & I am running on Windows 10 64bit.

Now, the camera functions perfectly fine however, I notice there is no native Gain control within Sharpcap for this camera. Rather, there is a button lablelled 'Show' & when activated it takes you to an Ascom popup with a gain control. This functions (albeit it's a bit clunky in regards to capture camera controls) however, when you hit okay on the Ascom popup window an exception error pops up... again, hit continue & the gain is changed but, again... this seems a little clunky...

I've attached some screen captures to illustrate the issue; wondering if anything can be done to smooth out this clunkyness or whether it is something I just have to live with...

Cheers
Screenshot (17).png
Screenshot (17).png (597.47 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
Screenshot (15).png
Screenshot (15).png (157.79 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
Screenshot (16).png
Screenshot (16).png (295.63 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Orion SSAG & Sharpcap (ASCOM)

Post by admin »

Hi,

Glad to hear that you have your SSAG camera working SharpCap. Unfortunately the rough edges that you have encountered are both due to limitations or bugs in the Orion SSAG Ascom driver. There is a perfectly good way that Ascom drivers can make the gain control available so that programs like SharpCap can adjust it which SharpCap supports fully. From your screenshots I can see that the Orion Ascom driver just isn't doing that so that the only way to adjust the gain is via the options dialogue sadly.

Similarly the bug report window that you see is down to an issue in the Orion Ascom driver where there is a busy mistake in the code trying to save the camera options. Unfortunately the only people who can fix these problems are the authors of the Ascom driver. I know that this bug has been there for a long time as I have seen reports of it going back at least a couple of years.

Sorry that there's nothing I can do here, Robin
Outcast

Post by Outcast »

Thanks Robin, is it worth contacting the guys that author the ASCOM platform or is this more correctly addressed through Orion itself?

Cheers
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

this is something that needs to be fixed by Orion (or quite possibly by whoever it is that makes these cameras for Orion...)

cheers,

Robin
Outcast

Post by Outcast »

Thanks Robin,

I've sent Orion and email; guess we will see what comes of it...

Regards
Andre27

Post by Andre27 »

Hi guys

I have exactly the same issue which is a pity a i am sure there are a number off us using this camera , has there been any feedback from Orion or perhaps a workaround found ?

Thanks for your time.

Andre