Histogram Reset Adjustments, and a few others

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
larryh

Histogram Reset Adjustments, and a few others

Post by larryh »

Hi Robin,
I had my first chance to use Sharpcap 3.0 pro, ver 3881, last night. I've been using Sharpcap for a while now and it is terrific. I have a couple issues to report though. I am using a ZWO ASI224MC and I have windows 10 (latest updates).
1) When I click "reset adjustments" in the histogram during live stack, the gamma resets to 0.5 rather than 1.0.
2) One time when using "save as viewed" from live stack, it put the saved files into the wrong folder, though the file was correctly named based on the object I was capturing. So, it put "M51..." files into the "M109" folder. This one may be operator error but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has seen this.
3) Today when I did "Check for Updates" from the help menu, it told me no updates were available even though when I then checked your website there were several newer versions.
4) This may not be a bug, but I can't figure out what's going on: I captured some AVI files of Jupiter and processed them in Autostakkert without a problem (colors looked OK), but when I tried to play the videos in Media Player, they appeared to be monochrome.

Again, thanks for the great software!
-Larry
admin
Site Admin

Re: Histogram Reset Adjustments, and a few others

Post by admin »

Hi Larry,

1) is by design - Live stacking sets a gamma of 0.5 by default as this helps pull out the faint nebulosity nicely (it's a good starting point for further adjustment)

2) Interesting - the logic for changing the target name is quite complicated, so it's possible that it has a bug - I presume you'd been capturing M109 earlier and it somehow remembered the folder. I will have to investigate

3) Is a bug in 3.0 builds up to 3881 (I think). In 3888 I added the ability to send updates to 3.0 users without also updating 2.9 users. I will update 2.9 users later, but not yet

4) Sounds like you were capturing in RAW mode - this is expected behaviour as Autostakkert knows how to turn a RAW movie into colour, but media player doesn't

cheers,

Robin
larryh

Re: Histogram Reset Adjustments, and a few others

Post by larryh »

Thanks for all the info Robin. Gamma of 0.5 usually makes my images too noisy, but I'm always playing with the settings. You are right that I was capturing in RAW8 for the video. Somehow I never noticed that before. I think maybe I used to capture in RGB but I think I saw somewhere that RAW8 gave higher frame rates and used less memory.