Using the brain and amp glow

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
cuivenion

Using the brain and amp glow

Post by cuivenion »

When using the brain function to measure sky brightness could it be thrown off by thermal noise or amp glow. Would it be advisable to use a dark frame during this procedure?
cuivenion

Re: Using the brain and amp glow

Post by cuivenion »

Anyone have an answer for this, I'll be setting up in a few hours. :)
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Sorry I don't have an answer to this but I'm very curious to see what Robin has to say on the subject. Some of the cameras I use have very pronounced amp glow that must be showing up in the calculation of the sky brightness measurements the brain does. I'm sure we'll get an answer soon.

-Wikkett
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

I'm suspecting a well matched dark certainly won't do any harm.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think the best option would be to select a sub region of the image away from the stronger amp glow regions for the sky brightness measurements.

Using a dark frame won't work for the sky brightness background measurement as the measurement procedure changes the exposure constantly to find a level that gives it a strong enough signal to work from – you wouldn't know in advance what length of dark frame to use. Additionally, using a dark frame would mean that any thermal noise would be removed from the image being assessed which would actually be a negative in this circumstance as we are trying to deal with how the sensor responds to the signal it sees without dark subtraction in our noise calculations.

Cheers, Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Actually having just thought about this, I suppose I really ought to have the measurement procedure turn off dark and flat correction while measuring (if it doesn't already) as both could impact on the final measurement, although I expect that the size of the impact is not going to be too significant.

Cheers, Robin
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Thanks Robin I'll bear it in mind.