Save Current Image

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
capella_ben

Save Current Image

Post by capella_ben »

Hi,

A few times I have done a test capture (long exposure) and neglected to hit the Snapshot button. The capture is displayed on screen but I have no way to save this captured image to disk.

Could I please request a feature to save the current preview image to disk.

Many thanks.
turfpit

Re: Save Current Image

Post by turfpit »

capella_ben

See the manual page at https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#!2!Start%20Capture and select the Single Frame option.

Dave
capella_ben

Post by capella_ben »

Hi Dave,

That's fine for capturing a new image, but I'd like to save it after a capture.

When they are 600 to 900 second captures, it can save a bit of time (if I stuff up).

Ben
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Ben

Don't understand - if a single frame is captured as per the manual link I gave, the frame will be on the disk. That is what I do and inspect the image in FITS Liberator before committing to an imaging run.

If you are using Live Stack, then there is a checkbox to 'Save Individual Frames'. https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Live%20Stacking

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi folks

If you have not changed any camera settings since the last frame and you press the snapshot button then it should save the frame that is in view (i.e. the most recently captured one) rather than waiting for a new frame to be captured. A second press of the snapshot button would then wait for the next train to arrive rather than save the same frame a second time.

However I have a feeling that this might not work quite as designed on cameras with a temperature sensor – it relies on the camera settings text that will be saved to the .camerasettings.txt file being the same between the time when the previous frame was captured and the time when you press the snapshot button. If the camera temperature has changed slightly since then, I suspect it will not work. I'll have to look into this.

Cheers, Robin
capella_ben

Post by capella_ben »

admin wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:21 pm Hi folks

If you have not changed any camera settings since the last frame and you press the snapshot button then it should save the frame that is in view (i.e. the most recently captured one) rather than waiting for a new frame to be captured. A second press of the snapshot button would then wait for the next train to arrive rather than save the same frame a second time.

However I have a feeling that this might not work quite as designed on cameras with a temperature sensor – it relies on the camera settings text that will be saved to the .camerasettings.txt file being the same between the time when the previous frame was captured and the time when you press the snapshot button. If the camera temperature has changed slightly since then, I suspect it will not work. I'll have to look into this.

Cheers, Robin
Hi Robin,

I'm using a cooled camera so I guessI'm having the problem as you describe.

Definately when I press the snapshot button it always waits until the next frame comes down and does not save the current frame.

Thanks.

Ben