Dark and Flat subtraction

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
nexusjeep

Dark and Flat subtraction

Post by nexusjeep »

Hi,
I know that I can subtract flats and darks from the light frame so that the stack shows the corrected image, my understanding from the manual is that if I have save individual frames enabled then these frames will also contain the correction as well. Am I misinterpreting this as ideally I would like to save the unadulterated light frame as I use the live stick to see how things are going but actually do my final stacking of the different monochrome channels in APP were I can subtract bias/ flat / flat dark / dark from the original lights and also control the methods used to a greater extent.

At present I run the live stack with out calibrating in flats or darks as I don't want to risk affecting my later processing.

Edited at13:03 to add below

Also just noticed the Calibration Frames post further down that answers the question not sure how I missed it earlier visit to specsavers next I think to add a second question I am not sure how Sharpcap does the Flat and Dark correction in the program would it be possible to have an option to make a selection to say save the un altered light frame before the flat + dark subtraction was carried out for the live stack If this sounds feasible I can feel a feature request coming on :D

Cheers
Nick
admin
Site Admin

Re: Dark and Flat subtraction

Post by admin »

Hi Nick,

Yes, this can be a bit confusing. If you are saving frames from SharpCap without using live stacking then the dark and flat corrections are included in the frames that saved. If you are saving the frames because you have ticked the 'save individual frames' option in the live stacking window then the frames that are saved have not been corrected – i.e. they are the raw frames that came off the camera with no further adjustment.

Hope that helps, Robin
nexusjeep

Re: Dark and Flat subtraction

Post by nexusjeep »

Thanks Robin,
For that clarification that is exactly what I want it to do will build some darks and flats next time to test it out

Cheers
Nick