Dark frame creation

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
tiziano

Dark frame creation

Post by tiziano »

Good evening to everyone,
My problem is this
when you capture the Dark Frame, only one file is created that contains -n- dark files,
the question is possible to create not one but (example) 20 or more Dark frame,
I hope you understand why my English it's terrible

Thanks
Tiziano
admin
Site Admin

Re: Dark frame creation

Post by admin »

Hi,

the purpose of the capture dark option is to create a single averaged master dark frame by capturing multiple frames and then averaging them together to reduce the noise.

If you want to capture a number of individual dark frames then you can just use the standard start capture button after covering your telescope to capture as many frames as you want.

Cheers, Robin
tiziano

Post by tiziano »

Thank you
I'll try tomorrow
dbishop

Post by dbishop »

Hi re Dark frame capture with an Altair 183C.
I usually capture individual frames and calibrate them in the usual way using the BatchPreprocessor tool in Pixinsight and haven't had an6 problems as such.
After sucess with Sharpcap's capture and average flat frames and processing in PI as a master-flat, I thoughtto try capturing an averaged darkframe.
Unfortunately, PI got as far as integration and threw up an error saying the signal data is weak or non existant.
On checking a debayered and a calibrated sub, there was very little data left, just a few weak stars.
Can you help please.
Ps the image has since processed alright with individual darks.
Thanks
Dave
John_Gill

Post by John_Gill »

Hi,

When doing Darks and Flats, I set the "Target Name" as "Darks or Flats". The resulting capture is then labelled as Dark_Lum_001 or Flat_Ha_001 or similar. I then process these images in PixInsight without issue.

space is not black
John