Brain function

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
PEM1

Brain function

Post by PEM1 »

The other night, I used the brain function to calculate optimal exposure near three different targets, and each time it generated exactly the same numbers. Is this typical, that sky glow doesn't vary on the same night (all three objects were in the same sky quadrant). I had previously done the sensor analysis.
thanks
PEM1

Re: Brain function

Post by PEM1 »

I again used the brain function a few nights ago, and it again gave exactly the same results as last month: 1 second exposure at 380 gain. Is this typical, that the values will show little or no change for the same equipment/location?
ZWO 385MC
Celestron 8SE
Bortle 8

Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Paul,

sorry to have missed this post the first time around. What readings are you getting when you measure the sky brightness each time you use the brine window? Basically it's the sky brightness measurement that will determine all the other results for you. If the sky brightness measurements in the same then the output will be the same.

Cheers, Robin
PEM1

Post by PEM1 »

I just had a look at the manual, and I now see my mistake: under "sky brightness" I didn't change the box for "or use a value of" and left it at the default.

Thanks, Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Paul,

actually, in general 'measure' button to let SharpCap measure your sky brightness for you. Once you've done this a few times you may get a feeling for how bright your sky is likely to be given the phase of the moon how clear the nighties et cetera and feel that you can skip that step and use the drop down instead.

Hope this helps, Robin