QHY 294c

Willems

QHY 294c

Post by Willems »

Hi,
Recently, the IMX294 based QHY camera became available. While the hardware looks promising, the software needs polishing. Apparently, QHY shipped an outdated SDK version with the current drivers (QHY5IIISeriesDriver20181029 and QHYCCDASCOM-Capture-StarSenseSci-V0.1.51.19), one that is still present in SharpCap 3.2.5906. After simply replacing it in SharpCap and in the ascom folder according to specific instructions from QHY support (accessible via theirforum), the camera works in SharpCap, but only using the ascom driver. The build-in Sharpcapriver, however, keeps refusing, despite numerous attempts, reinstallation's etc. It opens the camera with a black screen only but doesn't capture any frames. I know some got it working, sometimes only in SharpCap 3.1.
I know it is early stages for this new product, but SharpCap's full functionality would be very helpful!
Thanks, Willem
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY 294c

Post by admin »

Hi,

I happen to know that there is a new version of the QHY DLL currently in testing. I'm really hoping that this will resolve a lot of the issues that are currently being seen with the newer qhy cameras, although since I don't have any of those latest models to test with I can't be sure yet. I don't yet know when this DLL will be ready to be released in applications like SharpCap but I'm hoping it will not be long.

Cheers, Robin
Willems

Post by Willems »

Thank you for your reply, good to hear QHY is working on it.Camera worked well in ascom mode, had almost one hour of first light experience with it tonight in between the clouds :D
Best, Willem
Carlesa25

Post by Carlesa25 »

admin wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:08 pm Hi,

I happen to know that there is a new version of the QHY DLL currently in testing. I'm really hoping that this will resolve a lot of the issues that are currently being seen with the newer qhy cameras, although since I don't have any of those latest models to test with I can't be sure yet. I don't yet know when this DLL will be ready to be released in applications like SharpCap but I'm hoping it will not be long.

Cheers, Robin
Hi, I am interested in buying a QHY 294c and I would like to know if the driver problems with SharpCap have been solved. Thank you.
amorrison

Post by amorrison »

The SharpCap pro release on May 6th contained the fixes discussed here. I DL the May 9th release since it was the latest. I do not have any connection issues with the camera now and mostly the camera controls seem ok. I did find something strange with the still images saved with the SharpCap latest version and native QHY294C driver. I attached a zoomed in (past 100%), non-debayered screenshot showing the issue. I do not see these hot pixels using the identical setup and shooting with the QHY EzCap-QT software. I only see them using SharpCap Pro captures. This was from a .fits file, but they exist on all the format types. I'm no expert so maybe I am doing something wrong. [Edit: The ASCOM driver for QHY294C does not show these, only the Sharpcap native driver. Also, this only occurs with RAW16 format.] I am Using 64 bit Windows 10 OS

Brightness=0
Gamma=1
Temperature=26
Target Temperature=0
Cooler Power=255(Auto)
Banding Threshold=35
Banding Suppression=0
Apply Flat=None
Subtract Dark=None
#Black Point
Display Black Point=0
#MidTone Point
Display MidTone Point=0.5
#White Point
Display White Point=1
TimeStamp=2019-05-15T03:19:35.6051255Z
SharpCapVersion=3.2.5994.0
Attachments
SharpCap_Moon_Example.jpg
SharpCap_Moon_Example.jpg (236.01 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Please try adjusting the USB speed control that you will find in the right-hand control panel to see if you see any improvement either at very high or very low values of that control.

Cheers, Robin
amorrison

Post by amorrison »

Thanks for the response. The only control relating to that is the frame rate which I changed down to 1 frame per second but had no effect. There is no control specifically for USB traffic that I could find on the right hand panels.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (15.16 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Nothing like this? I thought it was available on all qhy cameras.

Cheers, Robin
amorrison

Post by amorrison »

Yes, mine looks just like that but has the "use ddr buffer" where your usb traffic slider is located.
Also, I am using a new Lenovo Y7000 laptop and I don't think it has any legacy USB 2 ports. All 3.0 or 3.1. Maybe that's why?
eric97417

Post by eric97417 »

Hi,
qhy294c has definitively problem with the driver. In Sharpcap (all versions) I have problem with 294, particulary when I program a exposure, example 20s, the timer go to 20, than over (25, 30, 50...) and the shoot is not read.
However, the ascom driver seems ok.
With another qhy, SharpCap works fine...
And yes, the control for usb don't exist with 294. (but is present with qhy263)

Eric