SharpCap 64-bit version now available for testing.

Official SharpCap and Forum announcements
admin
Site Admin

SharpCap 64-bit version now available for testing.

Post by admin »

Hi folks,

I'm pleased to say that there is now a 64-bit version of SharpCap that you can try out if you want, which can be downloaded from the following link.

https://d.sharpcap.co.uk/download.html? ... 0&arch=x64

Why would you want to use a 64-bit version of SharpCap?

Really the only reason that you might want to use the 64-bit version of SharpCap at the moment is if you are running live stacking with a high resolution camera and you are getting out of memory errors when you use some of the more advanced features of live stacking such as sharpening, noise reduction et cetera. These errors should go away if you move to the 64-bit version of SharpCap.

Please Note:

* You can have both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of SharpCap 3.2 installed at once.
* Point Grey, Basler, StarlightXpress, iNova Cameras are NOT supported in 64-bit SharpCap

Cheers, Robin
saguaro

Re: SharpCap 64-bit version now available for testing.

Post by saguaro »

I used this version last night with my ZWO1600MC-Cool, and had no issues during live stacking. Thanks for the great effort which allows me to use all the great features of live stacking with no crashes due to "out of memory" errors.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good to hear that the new 64-bit word is working well for you. Here's a new updated version that has a small number of bug fixes and the new option to use a logarithmic horizontal scale in the life stacking histogram to making adjusting the stretch easier.

https://d.sharpcap.co.uk/download.html? ... 0&arch=x64

Cheers, Robin
saguaro

Post by saguaro »

Fantastic! I can't wait to try out these improvements!

Regarding this: "Stronger/Weaker auto-stretch when control/shift clicking the button" -- can you explain a bit more about how this works? Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Robin,

when you use the auto stretch button either in the life stacking histogram or the mini histogram stretch functionality, the strength of the stretch can already be configured within the SharpCap settings (a stronger stretch will brighten the fine detail more). With the new functionality 3 different strengths of auto stretch are available without having to make the adjustment in the settings. The normal strength auto stretch is achieved just by clicking the button, a slightly stronger auto stretch by clicking the button while holding control key down and earned a slightly weaker auto stretch by clicking the button while holding the shift key down. I think it will probably make more sense once you give it a try.

Hope that helps, Robin
saguaro

Post by saguaro »

Thanks! Will you be making a new 64-bit version available whenever a new 32-bit version is available?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, I really need to automate this so that it builds both 32 and 64-bit versions at once and uploads both. The thing I'm struggling with at the moment is working out how to publicise the 64-bit version while making sure that only people who understand what it's good for what it's shortfalls are download it. I don't want everybody downloading it because it's 'oooh 64-bit' and then posting that it doesn't work with their XYZ cameras that would have worked if they'd have downloaded the 32-bit version.

Cheers, Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I've now set up the automatic creation of both builds (32-bit and 64-bit) together. That means that from now on whenever I put a new release of SharpCap onto the downloads page there will also be a link for the 64-bit build. The first new version with a 64-bit build link is already there on the download page right now!

I've put a tooltip warning over the download link for the 64-bit build to remind people that it doesn't support certain brands of camera.

Cheers, Robin
saguaro

Post by saguaro »

Fantastic! Thank you.