64 bit version

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
skydivephil

64 bit version

Post by skydivephil »

I have tried to run Sharpcap with my zwo camera and using it on a mac running parralles. Alas it does not work as the connection the camera just falls over within seconds of it being made. For example the capture rate will go from something like 15 frames per second to zero in less than a minute.
Im told the 64 bit version might work and I should try the Beta version ( it is not in general release yet).
Is it possible to try this and if so how?
admin
Site Admin

Re: 64 bit version

Post by admin »

Hi,

I don't think that the 64-bit version is likely to help in this particular case (it's really only likely to help in cases where you are running out of memory while performing live stacking on large pixel count cameras). I think your problem is most likely down to the use of the parallels virtualisation software. While some people have had success using SharpCap with this software there have been lots more people who had the same sort of problems that you are describing where the camera either does not work at all or is detected but sends no frames or the frame rate drops away to nothing after a short period.

There have been some reports of improvements by using a USB 2 cable instead of a USB 3 cable even if it is a USB 3 camera. However, the most robust solution I know of to get the software to run on Mac is to use Boot Camp to boot into a separate version of Windows instead of using parallels.

Hope this helps, Robin
skydivephil

Post by skydivephil »

thanks Robin . Ill look into that. Ill look into that option. I presume there are no plans to ever get Sharcap out on Mac are there?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

sorry but there are no plans to make a Mac version of SharpCap. Part of that is just the sheer amount of work that would be required to rewrite very large chunks of the software to be able to work on the Mac and another part is personal prejudice I'm afraid – I'm afraid I really don't like Macs, so I've got no desire to spend time writing software for them!

Sorry about that, Robin