Sharpcap doesn't like USB3 hub

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
stubblejumper

Sharpcap doesn't like USB3 hub

Post by stubblejumper »

I have two powered USB3 hubs. One is a piece of crap so I bought a Startech ST4300U3C3 powered hub. Works fine with my 5 external USB3 HDs. But when I connected my Altair Hypercam IMX174, SC reported there was a problem as did AltairCap and PHD2. However, if I disconnected the USB3 hub's power, all 3 apps were happy. To make it really weird, I could connect a battery or AC power after a successful connection without SC complaining.

My ASUS 503 laptop has the latest BIOS version. Has anyone run into a similar problem?

I don't think this is an SC problem but am hoping this community can help me.
turfpit

Re: Sharpcap doesn't like USB3 hub

Post by turfpit »

stubblejumper

Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=18&t=349 both posts.
I have two powered USB3 hubs. One is a piece of crap so
Implies the other one works? If so, why not buy another of them (assuming they can still be bought)?

Dave
stubblejumper

Post by stubblejumper »

The one that never worked was made by Insignia, not the Startech.
stubblejumper

Post by stubblejumper »

I switched to my ASI1600MM Pro and it worked flawlessly with the Startech ST4300U3C3. That narrows the problem down to something specific to the Altair Hypercam IMX174. I believe the problem is the Altair driver. I upgraded my Altair software to the latest version with no improvement. I shall raise the issue in the Altair forum.

Don
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Don

Were you able to use the known working ZWO cable with the IMX174?

When raising this with the vendor I suggest you reproduce the problem with AltairCapture - thay way everything is from a single vendor.

Dave
stubblejumper

Post by stubblejumper »

Thx Dave.

I used the ZWO cable on the IMX174 and the IMX174 cable to the laptop. Both cables have worked without a problem for many months. I stopped using the Startech cable because it had not been proven to work.

Since AltairCapture didn't work with the IMX174 when passing through the hub when powered, I believe the problem is in their software driver. Something changes when the hub has power supplied to it. I can't imagine what.

I' should hear from Altair on Monday. Nick is pretty good about responding.

Don