AVI format auto selected for planetary imaging?

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
CraigG

AVI format auto selected for planetary imaging?

Post by CraigG »

Hello!

I recently acquired a new Atik Horizon OSC that I'm using with the latest version of SC. Since our cloudy Michigan weather has prevented actually using the camera for imaging, I've been learning how to use SC with the built-in camera simulator and with my connected Horizon.

My question is...does SC automatically select the AVI format for Capture mode if the target is the Moon or planets?

I've selected the AVI format in the software however when I use my camera...admittedly without an actual planetary target, just my dust cap off slightly for some light...Capture saves in a SER format I believe. Also, the FPS is way slower than what would be needed for planetary imaging even though I've selected Maximum in the software?

So, thanks for anyone's response to this question. I'd love to be well prepared to use this exciting program when the weather does break!

Cheers!
Craig
admin
Site Admin

Re: AVI format auto selected for planetary imaging?

Post by admin »

Hi, did you check out the documentation which covers the information you need on file format choices

https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Saving%20Options

as to the frame rate, I presume you're using your camera with the Ascom driver, which does rather limit the frame rate.

Cheers, Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Craig

In SharpCap, under File > SharpCap Settings, you will find the Preferred Video Format. By default this is set to SER but you could change it here. Unless you have a specific reason to use AVI, then stick with the SER format.

For lunar/planetary, exposures of 30ms or better are ideal. Use RAW8 as that will help with the fps.

With the Atik Horizon I assume (dangerous) that you are using ASCOM drivers? I have an Atik 314E, so should be able to help you with this. Don't let the weather stop you, capture some land based SER files to get a feel for the software. When you post back with any questions, include the camera settings file as that will contain relevant information.

This is worth a read https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/

Dave
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Robin and Dave-

Wow, thanks so much for your prompt and thoughtful responses! It's nice to check into a forum where members can actually get responses to questions!

I did give the manual a quick peruse so I need to be spend more time with it. If I recall correctly, I don't think I have an option to toggle between video formats in that section but I will revisit. Yes, I'm dependent on Ascom drivers to even connect to SC which I think may be causing this and other limitations on functionality.

If I may ask an important follow-up question...I have no alternative selections in the "Colour Space" section other than Mono16? My Horizon is an OSC but the stack/capture images are all in mono. I know that the color works in the native Atik Infinity software. Any thought on how to correct this? Ascom again? I guess I need to learn how to include a camera settings file when when asking more questions.

Thanks again. I look forward to the day when I can help others to enjoy this wonderful software!

Cheers!
Craig
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Craig,

so to address the colour space issue, assuming you're using the latest version of SharpCap it seems likely that the Ascom driver for your camera is incorrectly reporting it as a mono sensor. SharpCap believes this report and therefore just gives you the mono option in the colour space list. Actually though this is pretty common for Ascom drivers so you should also see a deep layer option near the colour space control which you should be able to set to 1 of the force XXXX options to force SharpCap to treat your camera as a raw colour camera. If you try all 4 possibilities you will find one that gives the correct colours-sometimes it's easier to do this with a terrestrial image where you can control the colour so that you know for instance that you should be seeing red.

Hope this helps, Robin
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

It does help..thank you so much Robin! I did experiment with the force RGB option already...I read elsewhere that my camera uses a GRBG pattern...and forcing it does generate colour in the histogram while stacking. I didn't pursue it any further though as I thought I read in the manual that the final image will not be saved in colour. Is that correct?

As I plan to use the camera almost exclusively for EAA and sharing JPEG/ PNG files, colour saving is an important feature for me. Atik claims that the Horizon will work with other programs through Ascom so I would think their drivers would have full functionality. I will try your suggestions before taking the next step to uninstall everything and trying again to see if something was somehow corrupted along the way.

Thanks again Robin!
Craig
Bear Lake, Michigan
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Craig

This might be relevant to you viewtopic.php?f=35&t=254

Dave