ADC 10 & 12 bit capture?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
qcdougn

ADC 10 & 12 bit capture?

Post by qcdougn »

Hello, this is my first post & I have a question about getting max FPS with SharpCap from my two new ZWO cameras.
I have a ASI290MC & a ASI385MC which will record in either 10 or 12 bit ADC. I want to take lunar images in the SER format. So, in order make use of the camera speed capabilities, should I set to record Raw 16 or what? I hope my question makes sense.
Thank you.

Doug
turfpit

Re: ADC 10 & 12 bit capture?

Post by turfpit »

Doug

For max fps with lunar imaging, I always use RAW8 and capture in SER format - the camera make/model doesn't really matter. See my lunar images at:

https://www.astrobin.com/users/turfpit/

They are all RAW8, except the webcam which was captured as YUY2. Have a look at the lunar mosaic 16-panel and click on the image to see the detail.

There is no harm in experimenting with RAW16 - expect a lower fps but the quality of images will depend on seeing conditions.

RAW8 will be useful if you start using a Barlow, Wratten #25 red filter or IR685 filter - all of these devices will reduce fps. On balance though the 2 filters do help combat the atmospherics. Again see my astrobin for examples - as I recall both filtered images returned fps of around 10. Look also at the revisions - same image processed differently as new knowledge arrived ;)

Its all a learning curve - good luck with it.

Dave
qcdougn

Re: ADC 10 & 12 bit capture?

Post by qcdougn »

Dave,
TY for the information & tips. I believe that I’ll try the RAW8 first in SER format. I also have the #25 filter & a IR710.
Your image is awesome. I’ll check out your Astrobin images too.

Clear Skies,
Doug