[SOLVED] Live Stack and problems applying dark frames

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
admin
Site Admin

Re: Live Stack and problems applying dark frames

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, brightness, offset and black level are all synonyms for the same control - ie the one that just shifts the histogram left/right when you adjust it without changing shape.

I also have to test the frames you shared to see if the 'starburst' area on the right is falling foul of SharpCap's statistical hot pixel dection code - I expect not, but will check.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Famous last words above... it turned out to be a problem with the statistical hot pixel detection threshold.

I was using mean + 5 * sigma as the threshold for hot pixel detection, which should have led to about 1 in 2 million pixels being marked as hot if the distribution of brightness was a normal distribution. However the starburst noise on these sensors gives the dark frame a non-normal distribution, which throws the hot pixel threshold off.

I have now tweaked this in 3.2.5825 (just uploaded this evening) and it should fix the problem you are seeing.

cheers,

Robin
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Thanks Robin!

Hadn't checked this thread since earlier today so tried using offset / brightness settings as suggested which didn't work. Did a complete uninstall / reinstall. Downloaded your latest build. Made new dark frames and tried Live Stacking and would like to report much success! Thought reinstalling fixed it and found your post that you found something. Thanks to all for your help!

Here is quick Live Stack with dark frame master created in SharpCap applied. Also used a 10 brightness setting. Please ignore the quality had clouds roll in and guiding couldn't keep up. Amp glow removed

Please mark this one "SOLVED"
admin
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Live Stack and problems applying dark frames

Post by admin »

Marvellous - very pleased it is fixed for you :)

cheers,

Robin