plate solving

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
own

plate solving

Post by own »

Dear members,

I have a asi 294 and AZ EQ6, Installed both All sky plate solver and AstroTortilla and all of their index files as appropriate to my C925 and ES102 field of views with Reducer and barlows.

Mount connects and slews fine in SharpCap (via ASCOM). When I try to plate solve, mostly it will say successful and re-centering the object. The mount definitely to the new spot, but I still can't find the object in the frame.

Any suggestions? Im in the souther hemisphere and have set the SharpCap mount dialogue to EQ S

Thanks in advance

Hemi
admin
Site Admin

Re: plate solving

Post by admin »

Hi,

sounds like you are getting enough stars to plate solve but the target is still too faint to see. I'd just try turning up the gain to see if anything appears at high gains (not how you would want to image in the end, but with a high gain and 5s exposures you would probably catch sight of a lot of targets)

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, and a good test is to run a second plate solve which should basically not move much if it is working correctly - the first one should have put you on target. You can also check the log which has all the co-ordinates from the plate solve in it - check they match the target.

cheers,

Robin
own

Post by own »

Thanks,

I crank the gain to maximum and do 8s exposures etc, but no object.

The first solve usually says something like 1.x degrees.....no object. I solve again and it moves 0.x degrees, but still no object. Puzzled.

...and I’m talking bright objects....M8, M20.

Hemi