Using Push-to direction for finding targets with a Dobsonian (no tracking)

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules
‍

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
STL2COMO
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2026 7:10 pm

Re: Using Push-to direction for finding targets with a Dobsonian (no tracking)

#11

Post by STL2COMO »

Well as usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short....I just "independently discovered" what OP was doing with my own set up (older QHY camera with a 16mm lens mounted as an eFinder to the external tube of a newly acquired C6/6se)....the C6 is currently on a manual alt/az mount (SV225/SV225t). It's easier to lug around and set up the manual alt/as for outreach (and when I'm being lazy).

Then stumbled on to this thread after using SharpCap's reticle and comparing it to my (visual) Rigel crosshair and getting the QHY *nearly* aligned with the Rigel. And wondering how to get that last little bit adjusted.

Now, with this, I don't have to!

This morning I tried the offset tool indoors, figured out how it works (simple). And now I'm looking forward to tonight giving it a spin.

QUESTION: Can the offset be saved along with the camera settings? -- I have a camera profile set up for the QHY camera as "QHY Guider" which has the exposure/gain, etc. preset. If I resave that profile after enabling the offset and setting it....will or can the offset be saved as part of the camera profile?

Thanks!
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17427
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Location: Vale of the White Horse, UK
Contact:

Re: Using Push-to direction for finding targets with a Dobsonian (no tracking)

#12

Post by admin »

Hi,

the alignment mark position is saved on a per camera basis (although it is separate to the camera settings profile). So, that should just remember the position for you as long as you consistently use it with the same camera.

cheers,

Robin
Post Reply