Dumbbell Nebula

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Post Reply
StarzSkies
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2025 2:43 pm
Location: California

Dumbbell Nebula

#1

Post by StarzSkies »

Dumbbell Nebula

I shot this over 3 nights about 2-3 hours clock time each night.
Did a couple of edits so I posted both results.
A lot of variations posted, used some as a color guideline.
Using WO SpaceCat 51 WIFD, ASI2600MC Pro
SV220 7nm filter.
SharpCap
Separate Guiding PHD2
Darks and Flats.
Total 991 frames 30 seconds, gain 300, dither every 5 frames.
Stacked with Siril Ha OIII
Editing AstroWizard, Siril, Gimp, Affinity.
Thanks for looking.
Frank
Attachments
20261003_Dumbbell_Nebula_v2a.jpg
20261003_Dumbbell_Nebula_v2a.jpg (484.59 KiB) Viewed 311 times
20261003_Dumbbell_Nebula_v1.jpg
20261003_Dumbbell_Nebula_v1.jpg (447.42 KiB) Viewed 311 times
StarzSkies
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2025 2:43 pm
Location: California

Re: Dumbbell Nebula

#2

Post by StarzSkies »

I'm posting one more image. I think the stars and nebula look much better.
Spent a lot of time on this one using Siril pixel math and GHS. Never really got a great result.
After reading about it, I tried Luke's AstroWizard (all 3 images). I had much more success getting the wings out of this nebula with his app and without destroying the nebula itself, in a fraction of the time, minutes vs hours.
It's a very simple dialog to follow.
I also downloaded the RC Astro tools (blurX, noiseX and starX). After the trial, I'll definitely be purchasing.
Really like his app. Saves a lot of time. Give it a try.
Frank
Attachments
20261005_Dumbbell_Nebula_v1.jpg
20261005_Dumbbell_Nebula_v1.jpg (934.32 KiB) Viewed 25 times
Post Reply