Can't solve second step

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
MisterBill

Can't solve second step

Post by MisterBill »

Just got in from closing my "2 hour no cloud window". Spent 1hr 55 minutes trying to get 3.1 to solve second step. I tried numerous times and could get step one almost instantly but never second step. Restarted and slewed to a new FOV and no luck. If it said "Rotate Further" I would. Screen would change to "Working" and find any number of stars up to 21/18 and no solve.
I have min pixel set to 3 to ignore hot pixels and max set to 20 to allow big stars. When the top of screen tells me 400 + fails I restart.

Third night of the same problem.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

BTW: I've been a SC user since the beginning and love it. Thank you for your effort.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't solve second step

Post by admin »

Hi Bill,

have you had a look at the troubleshooting hints for Polar Alignment? https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/fea ... leshooting

In particular, read through the 'Stuck in Step 2 or Step 3' and see if any of the suggestions there help. If still no luck then please capture some frames (snapshot button) in the 2nd position and share them.

thanks,

Robin
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

SOLVED!
Had my first break in the clouds tonight. Gave it another try. Took out a different computer and camera cable and everything worked the first try.

Thanks for the tips. Great product. Found my first version of SharpCap is 1.04 from summer of 2011.

Thanks again for everything over the years.
Bill
27N 80W
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good to hear that it is sorted!

If you are at 27N latitude then make sure you enter your lat/long and turn on refraction correction in the plate solve settings for best accuracy.

cheers,

Robin
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Another great tip, Thanks.
Bill