High DPI scaling issue and fix

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
saguaro

High DPI scaling issue and fix

Post by saguaro »

Using the latest 3.2 Beta build, 3.2.5747.0, I noticed some display issues in SharpCap. I'm running Windows 10 Professional. My laptop monitor is 3840x2160 resolution. The icons at the top of the SC main window were very small, and the status messages in the lower left and lower right corner of the SC main window were squeezed together so as to be partially unreadable. Also, any status messages displayed above the main SC window were truncated horizontally.
SC 3.2 Beta.JPG
SC 3.2 Beta.JPG (861.37 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
I was able to fix the display issues by doing the following:
Right-click SharpCap.exe and choose Properties. Under the Compatibility tab, I clicked "Change High DPI Settings". I put a check mark next to "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and selected Scaling Performed by "System". Click OK, click Apply, and click OK.
oopfan

Re: High DPI scaling issue and fix

Post by oopfan »

Hi Robin,

Just curious, are you using your 290M camera?

Thanks,
Brian
saguaro

Post by saguaro »

Yes, I used it last night, as shown in the screenshot.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the report. I removed a piece of code that I had previously to deal with this since in my testing with a high DPI monitor it made no difference to the way the program was shown. Obviously not the case for everyone sadly, so I will put it back.

I have a plan to be properly high DPI capable in the next major version (3.3), but it seems to require me to rewrite quite a lot of code to make it work properly.

cheers,

Robin
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Robin,

Sorry, I forgot to look at the title bar for your camera name. So you have ZWO, mine is Altair. In 12-bit mode "Flip" is not available for me, only in 8-bit. Is that also the case for your camera? Also, I thought that perhaps Robin implemented Flip in software in version 3.2. I am still on the latest version of 3.1.

Brian
saguaro

Post by saguaro »

Hi Brian,

I just checked SC v. 3.1 and v 3.2 Beta and Flip (Horiz, Vert, and Both) is available in Mono 8 and Mono 16 for the ASI290mm. Perhaps it's a bug that Flip is not available for your Altair in 12-bit mode? Best to ask Robin Glover. Hope this helps.

-Robin (aka Saguaro)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Altair only have 'flip' controls in RGB and (I think) mono modes, not RAW. ZWO have flip for all modes. Right now SharpCap only offers flip if the underlying camera software supports it. In theory I could write code to offer flip for cameras that don't have it, but there always seem to be other things to do :)

cheers,

Robin