Atik one 6.0 - camera and filter wheel control

MrAstroBen

Atik one 6.0 - camera and filter wheel control

Post by MrAstroBen »

I will have this camera with built in filter wheel shortly.

Anyone else tried one yet?

I assume if all works ok the cooling will need to be done manually and filter changes + motorised focusing are manual in the software currently rather than fully automated.

Id prefer to keep with sharpcap rather than changing to SGP
Thanks Rob
admin
Site Admin

Re: Atik one 6.0 - camera and filter wheel control

Post by admin »

Hi,

I don't have any Atik cameras myself to test with, but I have had reports of people using Atik cameras with SharpCap by using the ASCOM driver. I hope it works correctly for you and do report back any problems that you have.

thanks,

Robin
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

Thanks Robin,

Will let you know how i get on. Will be a few weeks before i get chance to play properly.

Rob
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

Robin, got the Atik One 6.0 set up indoors with a 50mm camera lens. Loaded Artemis capture and ascom drivers.
Artemis works, has sequencer for filters, histogram, focus assist but otherwise quite basic.

Closed that down and opened Sharpcap 3.1 (windows7)

Atik and Atik2 showed under cameras. Selected Atik

Temp displayed and camera control popped up.
Sharpcap then froze.

Did a laptop reboot and opened sharpcap. Selected camera, temp displayed but froze before camera controls appeared.

Drivers are from the original Atik disc circ late 2015.

If you can get an email address to me i can send any data/screenshots etc that may help.

Thanks Rob
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

Ps, if i select the DSO simulated cam i can select and turn the built in filter wheel on the Atik One.

If i try to connect to either Atik or Atik2 cameras just prior to freezing, i can hear the filter wheel clicking but not turning. Not sure if that has any relevance.

Rob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Rob,

the most likely place for stuff of interest is the SharpCap log - we might be able to see what it was up to at the time the problem happened. Similarly if the Atik ASCOM driver has a logging option, turning that on and finding that log would be good.

If SharpCap is hanging then you will need to find the logfile after killing SharpCap off - it will be in

[code]C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\SharpCap\logs[/code]

cheers,

Robin
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

Thanks Robin. I had just updated Sharpcap but will check if any ascom updates are available.

Will re try then post log.

Rob
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

Ok, updated my ascom platform from 6.3 to 6.4
Reloaded the Atik software from their website to gain any updates.

I now have camera function, ran for about an hour with no crashes.

The internal filter wheel caused a few windows errors at first. Opened Artemis, ran that. Closed and re opened Sharpcap.

This time i had filter wheel control with no errors. Takes a second or two to respond but moves as should. Will test this again to see if now opens first time without error.

Temp control works, just no warm up option but can manually stage or switch to Artemis for that.

So looking good so far. Especially considering not developed with an Atik One to test.

Sharpcap has a lot more tools than Artemis, but does not have an automated filter sequencer. Handy to enter differing exposures.

Is that due to the Atik Ascom driver or Sharpcap?

Not a major issue if refocusing between filters but once i have the motorised focuser up and running it would be nice to just program and let it run and save sequences for fast access.

Are these features in the pipeline?

Thanks Rob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Rob,

that sounds more promising :)

I am planning on getting some sort of sequencing tool that will allow you to setup a series of actions to run - it will most likely be the major feature in SharpCap 3.3.

If you are comfortable writing computer code then you can build this sort of functionality for yourself now - SharpCap has a built in Python based scripting language and you could write scripts to do all the things you mention from cooldown/warmup to automated filter change + focus adjustments. There are some fairly good threads building up in the 'Scripting' sub forum as people build their own tools for various tasks and exchange ideas.

cheers,

Robin
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

I may have to wait, last time I did any programming it was on a Sinclair Spectrum and Apple IIe 🤔

I'm sure 3.3 will be along in no time at though 🤗