SharpCap can't see camera on Microsoft Surface

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
bgirrell

SharpCap can't see camera on Microsoft Surface

Post by bgirrell »

I downloaded SharpCap Pro 3.1 (with license).
Installation is on a Microsoft Surface Pro (Windows 10), which has a full sized USB-3 connector
I installed the SharpCap Prerequisites.

During installation of SharpCap, some text in yellow flashed on my screen for a fraction of a second saying something about Java or Javascript. It was far too fast to read and I could not get the message to repeat.

When I started up SharpCap, everything looked normal (I have used SharpCap on a laptop for about a year), but the program could not locate the camera (ZWO ASI174MM). I used the same USB cable and camera just a couple of days before for acquisition (using FireCapture), so they are known to be good.

Where do I go from here?
Can anyone tell me what that Java message was about? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the problem. I simply didn't have time to read the message.

Thanks much

Bruce G
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap can't see camera on Microsoft Surface

Post by admin »

Hi,

first it's worth checking that the camera is still properly detected by Windows (in device manager) and is working with other applications - that would rule out hardware/connection errors. Having done that I'd suggest checking that you have the latest version of the ZWO drivers installed - SharpCap keeps up-to-date with new software released from ZWO and they sometimes require the latest drivers to work correctly.

If none of the above helps, please post the contents of the SharpCap log after starting the application and then viewing the list of cameras in the cameras menu.

cheers,

Robin
bgirrell

Post by bgirrell »

Thanks, I'll check that out and report back
The Surface is brand new, so there is almost nothing installed on it other than Windows. I may be missing some DLL or something.

What is the Java warning about? Please make that message stay on the screen longer.

Bruce G
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not sure about the message - not something I've encountered before and certainly SharpCap doesn't use Java at all and I wouldn't have expected anything about javascript during the install - sorry I can't help with that :(

Robin
bgirrell

Post by bgirrell »

Robin,

It was a driver problem. Got it sorted out. I think everything is working now.
Thanks

Bruce G
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Excellent - good to hear it's sorted.

Robin