Dialog boxes for Sharpcap 3.0 and above are blank.

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
starblind

Dialog boxes for Sharpcap 3.0 and above are blank.

Post by starblind »

After trying numerous setting in Windows 10 and using the compatibility modes, Sharpcap will not function on any Microsoft Surface Pro or Surface Book tablet or laptop. Any settings or configuration dialog is just a white empty box on the screen. The left hand camera control column is blank. It does not work irrespective of the display settings used in any format. Use of either a ZWO ASI174MC or 120MM doesn't make any difference to the operation of Sharpcap, nothing related to the camera or any dialog box (Tools, Settings etc.) work, they are all blank/white.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Dialog boxes for Sharpcap 3.0 and above are blank.

Post by admin »

Hi,

please check that you have the correct display drivers installed - this sort of thing can happen if your display is in VGA compatibility mode.

cheers,

Robin
starblind

Post by starblind »

That isn't the issue. Sharpcap won't work on any Surface model I have tried. I went into the office and ran a test on all of the Pro 3, 4 and Surface book models I have access to, it failed on all of them, blank dialog boxes. Same with Fire Capture. No compatibility settings changes or DPI settings will fix the issue. It must be something to do with the high DPI displays. The program loads, it never crashes, you just can't see any of the dialogs, control panel etc. They are all blank.

Robert.
HomerPepsi

Post by HomerPepsi »

Hi Robert,

I upgraded the gfx card in my old pc and have now run into this issue. I had an ATI 4870 (which wasn't officially supported by windows 10) and had zero issues with sharp cap. I took it out and installed a geforce 1030, installed the latest drivers, now all of my dialog's are blank as well.

If I start capture it is just using the settings that load by default. I think the settings are there, just not rendering. Not sure how to fix it.

Are there any pre-requisits that aren't included in the sharpcap install?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

there are no extra installers required as far as I know as long as you have the correct graphics drivers installed for your graphics cards.

There was a similar thread where someone had this problem with a Surface Pro laptop and they found it fixed itself when they attached an external monitor to the lpatop (it even stayed fixed apparently when the external monitor was removed).

Sorry that I don't have any immediate advice to offer, but thanks for reporting the issue with the new graphics card. I have a machine with a GeForce based card, so I will test that machine (probably at the weekend) to see if I see any problems. Hopefully with enough reports a pattern of what causes/does not cause the issue will start to appear and that is the first step to finding a fix.

cheers,

Robin
HomerPepsi

Post by HomerPepsi »

Can confirm. Plugging in a monitor did the trick.

Unplugging it, however, brought back the problem. I think this might be a windows 10 bug. I am using team viewer and chrome remote desktop. Same results with both.
Attachments
sdaffafaff.png
sdaffafaff.png (215.97 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, that's interesting - to summarize you find that

1) Everything works fine when using a monitor to view the application
2) Everything works fine when using teamviewer/chrome remote desktop when a monitor is plugged in
3) blank windows when using teamviewer/chrome remote desktop when no monitor plugged in

is that correct?

cheers,

Robin
HomerPepsi

Post by HomerPepsi »

1) physically, yes, sharpcap appears as expected when looking at the monitor with my eyes.
2) Yes, as long as a monitor is plugged in, it works as expected, virtually, over chrome remote desktop and TeamViewer.
3) Correct. I think it is a windows 10 problem because the pc overall behaves like it does when their isn't a driver installed (which isn't the case).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

please can you retry with 3.2.5696 (beta version). I have made some changes that *might* have a helpful effect. Please can you send a log from 3.2.5696 as that will contain some info too.

thanks,

Robin
RayAstrophotography

Post by RayAstrophotography »

Robin,
I have been using sharpcap for the last 6 months using Windows10. Some updates on Windows must have happened in the last week or so, now I am facing the same issue that users reported:

* Version of SharpCap - 3.1.5193 or
* Camera and other hardware being user - Using Test Camera (or ZWO 071 OSC)
* Operating system version - Windows 10
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.