Anyone know what crater this is?

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Post Reply
timh
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:50 pm

Anyone know what crater this is?

#1

Post by timh »

Snapshot of Moon_00002 21_56_42Z_Registax_affin.jpg
Snapshot of Moon_00002 21_56_42Z_Registax_affin.jpg (298.95 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
I managed to capture a single image of the moon before the clouds came over and conditions deteriorated. The trouble is I have no idea what it is that I have imaged except that it is near the terminator of a waxing half moon.

Based on the image scale the crater is about 70 miles across (1024 x 768 pixels at ~0.125 arcsec/ pixel - same set up as used below for Jupiter. 800 frames , 8.4 ms, gain 154 on ASI 715MC camera over about 35s.

Thanks if anyone knows. The detail looks quite good - resolving well below an arcsec based on pixel peeping.
User avatar
turfpit
Posts: 2253
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Anyone know what crater this is?

#2

Post by turfpit »

Tim

Virtual Moon Atlas https://ap-i.net/avl/en/download

Dave
User avatar
turfpit
Posts: 2253
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Anyone know what crater this is?

#3

Post by turfpit »

Tim

Looks like Arzachel (bottom left, red dot).

Arzachel.JPG
Arzachel.JPG (84.31 KiB) Viewed 2184 times


Dave
timh
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:50 pm

Re: Anyone know what crater this is?

#4

Post by timh »

Thanks Dave! I thought that you would be the one to know how to identify it. It was the first time I had looked at the moon with quite such a long focus/ small pixel set up and didn't realise how easy it is to get lost on the lunar surface. I can see me using the mosaic tool down the line -- I also found it very difficult to get rid of colour castes when using the MC camera so the picture above was actually converted to B/W to avoid the appearance of mossy green crater rims.

Tim
User avatar
turfpit
Posts: 2253
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Anyone know what crater this is?

#5

Post by turfpit »

Tim

For any troublesome moss you can try a quick SCNR in PixInsight.

For colour lunar battles see viewtopic.php?p=29623 particularly post #10. That image ended up on a Tesco cushion as a Christmas present for my grand-daughter.

More recently I have been experimenting setting the colour balance for R & B as both 50 with my ASI120MC.

With filters on mono images, I have had good results with:
  • low elevation, Wratten #25 (red)
  • high elevation, IR685
Lunar imaging thoughts:
  • Starting out imaging - "the moon is an easy object because it is big and bright"
  • 5 years later - "the moon is a difficult object because it is big and bright"
Dave
timh
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:50 pm

Re: Anyone know what crater this is?

#6

Post by timh »

Thanks again Dave -- yes SCNR would have been a better approach -- and that final mineral moon picture was superb - I remember reading the thread at the time although it wasn't so relevant to anything that I was doing at the time. The virtual lunar atlas seems very useful too-- so I do plan to finally start having a go at more moon stuff with the 12 inch because - as you say - it is well suited to the task.
User avatar
turfpit
Posts: 2253
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Anyone know what crater this is?

#7

Post by turfpit »

One feature of Virtual Moon Atlas I find useful is the Ephemeris tab. By entering a date/time in the future and clicking Compute, the display shows the illuminated moon at that date/time - useful for planning lunar imaging sessions.

virtual-moon-atlas-planning.JPG
virtual-moon-atlas-planning.JPG (24.82 KiB) Viewed 2053 times

Dave
Post Reply