Help with Live Stacking

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
Post Reply
rford322
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:07 pm

Help with Live Stacking

#1

Post by rford322 »

I am sure this is a "settings" issue. After my guide camera died while out in a remote location, I decided to try live stacking. I was well aligned, three minute subs looked great, so I decided to use 1 minute subs for stacking. I am using a QHY268C and an SV 90mm scope on a Losmandy G11 mount. The image shows nice round stars, and some faint nebulosity. The odd thing is the red, green and blue streaks.

User error comes to mind, this is the first time I've tried live stacking, just starting it and using the default settings, comments and suggestions are welcome.
NGC7822, 30 exposure stack of 1 minute each
NGC7822, 30 exposure stack of 1 minute each
Stack_16bits_30frames_1800s.jpg (458.06 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
Jean-Francois
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:52 am
Location: Germany

Re: Help with Live Stacking

#2

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello,

Hot pixel on one red pixel, hot pixel on one green pixel and hot pixel on one blue pixel of the RGB Bayer filter pattern.

You need to cool the camera (if not done yet) or cool more (if possible) or/and set the automatic hot pixel reduction in SharpCap.
In addition you should use a Dark image (but at the same detector temperature).

At the end you can use the dithering, if you have autoguiding with PHD2.

Regards,
Jean-Francois
rford322
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:07 pm

Re: Help with Live Stacking

#3

Post by rford322 »

Thank you. The camera was cooled to 0 degrees, I did not use a dark frame. I think live stacking has a lot of potential, I just have to practice it a bit.
Gfischer
Posts: 307
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:20 pm

Re: Help with Live Stacking

#4

Post by Gfischer »

I love live stacking. I agree streaks look like hot pixels. Use a dark frame and you should be good. I use a Asi183mc non cooled with darks and works well.
rford322
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:07 pm

Re: Help with Live Stacking

#5

Post by rford322 »

I think I too will love live stacking. One or two minute exposures, unguided almost like a Seestar, only better. Thanks.
RodgerDodger008
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:42 pm

Re: Help with Live Stacking

#6

Post by RodgerDodger008 »

If not using a dark frame make sure to select at the very least hot pixel removal, that should eliminate this issue of walking noise when getting hot pixels.

I personally find using dark frames to be the best and if you are using a cooled cam you can take them in the day and use them for months.
User avatar
pastorgalactico
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:49 pm
Location: España
Contact:

Re: Help with Live Stacking

#7

Post by pastorgalactico »

Hello;
Where can I select hot pixel removal in Sharcap?
Regards.
J.Tapioles (Pastorgalactico)
Obs.Orion Cod.MPC R50
TL 16" F4.5 Giordano.Picgoto ESP32go V5
Refr 120mm F5
Ocul. Explorer 82º.
Barl. X2-X3- X5 Explorer
Planetario informático Guia 9.1
Player One Uranus C .
Cor. coma HR explorer.
Redu. focal 0.67 Braña.
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17382
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Location: Vale of the White Horse, UK
Contact:

Re: Help with Live Stacking

#8

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's one of the choices in dark frame subtraction (in the preprocessing controls on the right) - you can either use a real dark frame, or use hot/cold pixel correction. You also get a slider to adjust how aggressive the hot/cold pixel correction is.

cheers,

Robin
Post Reply