DSS is Not Debayering RAW16 Images

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
Zubenelgenubi

DSS is Not Debayering RAW16 Images

Post by Zubenelgenubi »

I moved up from a Canon 60D DSLR to a ZWOASI294MC (color) camera. I've tried to save my images in RAW16 color format then process these using Deep Space Stacker. The DSS images do not appear to be Debayer, no color and checker board pattern across the image. Any idea what I am doing wrong either on the SharpCap or DSS end?
turfpit

Re: DSS is Not Debayering RAW16 Images

Post by turfpit »

Please post the camera settings file. A screenshot of the settings used in DSS will help. [Note: DSS does not debayer 8-bit images which should not be the case here as you are using RAW16.]

Download PIPP from https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/.

Drag and drop a single image onto PIPP and use my document from here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=254 for reference to proceed.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is a DSS setting you need to turn on in the 'RAW/FITS DDP Settings' dialog. In the FITS tab, check the 'Monochrome 16 bit FITS Files are RAW files..' checkbox and choose the right debayer pattern.

cheers,

Robin
Zubenelgenubi

Post by Zubenelgenubi »

Thanks for the helpful replies to my post. I did some experimenting and found that DSS will debayer files with RAW16 format *.fits. Not the case with *.tif or *.png files generated by SharpCap with the ASI294MC-Pro camera. Here is a screen shot with the SharpCap parameters on the left and the DSS debayer parameters on the right. I don't understand why other file formats generated by SharpCap do not debayer but since I have found a format that works, I am happy.
A Solution.png
A Solution.png (967.25 KiB) Viewed 11570 times
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Glad you have it working now.

The document in my post above was written in response to an 8-bit PNG capture. DSS was originally for DSLR captures and so dealt with RAW data from that type of camera. I will do some tests with TIFF (I am sure I have stacked those before with DSS but it was a different camera to yours - maybe a debayer setting in Sharpcap - Robin will know).

Personally, I would always capture deep sky objects in FITS format. There are useful tools such as FITS Liberator which are useful for studying image statistics.

Dave
Zubenelgenubi

Post by Zubenelgenubi »

I want to thank everyone who replied to my original post with helpful suggestions. I am new to SharpCap and the SharpCap forum but it looks like I am in good hands going forward with such a helpful group.
bendavidson

Post by bendavidson »

turfpit wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:41 am
[Note: DSS does not debayer 8-bit images which should not be the case here as you are using RAW16.]

Dave
Dave,
I followed SharpCap's smart histogram advice and used Raw8 instead of Raw16 on some captures last night. However when I tried to work on a stacked image from 20 of these Raw8 files in Photoshop (CS6) I got a message saying 'document does not have an embedded RGB profile'. I can't seem to find any colour in it at all.
On hunting around for answers I saw your quote above. Is there some manual setting in DSS that I can use to debayer the 8-bit images I am trying to stack?
Any idea what am I doing wrong? Should I just stick to Raw16?
thanks,
Ben
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Ben

DSS (at least version 3.x) does not debayer RAW8. Unknown at the moment for DSS v4. Both versions of DSS will debayer RAW16. See

Options > Settings > Raw/FITS DDP Settings in DSS

See my document at viewtopic.php?f=35&t=254 for one way to do this using PIPP.

Personally, I use:
  • RAW8 for lunar/planetary (to achieve higher frame rate)
  • RAW16 for deep sky (for better detail of faint data)
but YMMV.

Dave
bendavidson

Post by bendavidson »

Thanks Dave.
Worked perfectly 😊
Attachments
EDE2CF7B-60D3-48F7-B2DE-42792EF0BBC9.jpeg
EDE2CF7B-60D3-48F7-B2DE-42792EF0BBC9.jpeg (301.7 KiB) Viewed 11444 times
Last edited by bendavidson on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Ben

A decent image and you managed to capture the faint domes.

Glad you are sorted.

Dave