Continue live stack from previous session

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
JimsShed

Continue live stack from previous session

Post by JimsShed »

Hi Robin,
I would like to continue a live stack from a previous session.
Eg; My camera is a 294MC Pro. Last night I used Live Stack to take 50 frames of M42. Tonight I want to add to those 50 frames in a continuation of the same stack.

As a suggested use case, I would start my camera, but also specify a live stack source folder. When I click the Live Stack button it would restack everything in that folder and then continue the normal acquisition.

So a bit like live stacking the Folder Monitor camera, with a continuation of input from a live camera.

Some benefits of being able to do this;
1) Go back and remove bad frames that have occurred in the current session (planes, satellites, bumped mount, etc)
2) Build on EAA image quality using previous data.

Any thoughts?

Regards, Jim
admin
Site Admin

Re: Continue live stack from previous session

Post by admin »

Hi Jim,

an interesting idea - I had given some thought to being able to resume a stack, but had imagined that SharpCap would save the current stack state and then reload it later, rather than reprocessing the previous frames. There are advantages to both approaches - the removal of bad frames is a good point for your approach, but it does require raw frames to be saved and also a potential delay while the old frames are re-stacked.

I will keep this idea in mind.

cheers,

Robin
mgCatskills

Post by mgCatskills »

Perhaps this has already been proposed, but a related thought triggered by your comment, Robin, would be to allow the user to establish a buffer of a set number of frames and give them an "unstack" button that works with them. Nothing worse than having a nice stack ruined by a wide satellite trail right down the middle.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yeah, that 'unstack' option is something worth thinking about - it's probably best done by running the problem frame through the stack in 'subtract' mode, which is exact for default stacking, and should give pretty decent results for sigma clipped too...

An unstack last frame button would be (relatively) easy, but do you always spot something like that straight away - my experience is no, so really you would need some sort of frame history display to click through I guess...

cheers,

Robin