Ha image optimization with pressure-tuners

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Markbloom

Ha image optimization with pressure-tuners

Post by Markbloom »

So I have a Lunt 80mm Ha solar scope with double-stacked pressure-tuned Etalons.

The pressure-tuners are controlled by the PC-USB tuners by Lunt. I can control these from my computer via USB cables. I don’t think there are ASCOM-compliant drivers.

Anyway, I would like to be able to tune the two Etalons “automatically” within Sharpcap. How could I do this? Some kind of sweep of presssures, or maybe a gradient-search of some kind could be used. The procedure would need to set one Etalon and then adjust the other for maximum-brightness (meaning the two filters are center-band aligned) and then some measurement taken of the quality/detail of the image before changing the pressure and repeating. Any ideas on how this could be implemented? Thanks in advance!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Ha image optimization with pressure-tuners

Post by admin »

Hi,

I guess you could switch between the histogram showing (which gives you the average image brightness, so helps you adjust to the maximum brightness). Then once you have done that, switch to one of the focus tools for solar images (contrast detection, etc) and note down the average focus score, then repeat for various pressure levels - your noted down average focus values should give you a measure of how good the image is at each pressure level.

A bit manual I'm afraid, but I think it may work.

cheers,

Robin