Solar Mosaic 1st Attempt!

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
CarlGreen

Solar Mosaic 1st Attempt!

Post by CarlGreen »

Here is my first attempt at a Solar Mosaic using the Solar Mosaic Tool in Sharpcap.
Shot this morning with a Lunt60 THa, QHY5III462C, Stacked and aligned in Astrosurface and made into a Mosaic (Panorama) by Afinity (V1) then re tuned in Astrosurface again to bring out detail. Gain=165, Exposure=0.5230ms

I had a piece of transparrent background showing once the images were stitched together that I had to colour fill (About 4 oclock in the image) Not sure why this happened and not sure what I could do about it (So bodged a fix :) )

The tool worked well (I think) but would be handy if it had a percentage overlap function (I used the pixel overlap and set it to 200, as I need at least 25% overlap for Afinity to stitch it together) and when I tried this with a Mono Camera earlier, it only took 4 images and Afinity could not find a Panorama (Mosaic) to stitch (So Guessing either not enough images or more likely not enough overlap - That said, I didn't change any settings for the Colour Image and that took a series of six images (which did stitch together?) Almost definitely USER ERROR!
I used the Automatic Alignment Point method as did not feel I could manouver my Scope with the precision required at this stage (Still Learning).

I took Robins advice and dialed down my settings so as to not overexpose the image (Seems to me that every day is different and settings need tweaking constantly. Experience will only come with me practising! - Feedback welcome. Thanks
Attachments
TestPanorama.jpg
TestPanorama.jpg (634.11 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Celestron 9.25 - Altair 155 f8
GoTo Evolution Alt-Az Mount - Eq8
Starsense Explorer
Celestron Focus Motor
QHY5iii462C / Skyris 132M / ZWO ASI294MC Pro
Celestron f6.3 Focal Reducer
Windows 10 Home Edition
I5 - 825OU CPU - 180 Ghz, 8GB RAM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Solar Mosaic 1st Attempt!

Post by admin »

Hi Carl,

nice work and good to hear that the mosaic tool worked well for you :)

A good point on the overlap being in % terms being a clearer way to present it - I will have a look into that. I don't recall needing such a big overlap when I was stitching the mosaic, but I was using Affinity2, which may be different in that respect.

cheers,

Robin