Why am I getting this noise?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Prasad

Why am I getting this noise?

Post by Prasad »

Please forgive my ignorance, I am not able to understand what is causing this noise at the right edge of the frame. I use SharpCap pro version V4.1 (64bit) and I get this noise when I connect ASI178MM. This is a new development because I have been using this camera for many months and I had no problems. I don't think the camera has suddenly become defective because I don't see this noisy edge when I run ZWO's ASICAP or FireCapture.

Please advise me.
Thanks
Prasad
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-22 103421.png
Screenshot 2024-04-22 103421.png (788.15 KiB) Viewed 206 times
Prasad

Re: Why am I getting this noise?

Post by Prasad »

I tried several times and the dreaded noise band was always there. I then started playing around changing almost every slider. The noise band was still there. Then I tried changing the binning to 2 and 3. When the binning was at 3 I noticed the band missing. I went back to my original setting of binning at 1. The noise band has disappeared.

Why? I don't know but my problem has gone.

Thanks everyone for reading
Prasad
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Prasad,

I have a very old (pre-production sample) ASI174MC that sometimes does things like that. On other days it behaves itself and gives normal pictures. In the case of my ASI174 I think it is a problem with the camera itself (not sure if hardware or software on the camera). Your problem could be a similar issue.

One thing that is worth trying is to reset all the camera controls to default, just in case a saved value is causing the problem. Hold down the <CTRL> key when opening the camera to do this. In particular, a bad flat frame with a dark band on the right could have the sort of effect you have seen.

cheers,

Robin
Prasad

Post by Prasad »

Hello Robin

Thank you. So I am not alone. That is a big relief. Sure, I will follow what you said.

Thanks
Prasad