GOTO (Online) Catalog Target ?

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Tom°Dresden

GOTO (Online) Catalog Target ?

Post by Tom°Dresden »

Hello,

many other programs allow simple online queries for GOTO.
SIMBAD identifier query would be nice.
IMHO it is not much effort to ask SIMBAD for RA/DEC of given identifier ?

CS
Thomas
admin
Site Admin

Re: GOTO (Online) Catalog Target ?

Post by admin »

Hi Thomas,

nice idea - I just looked and queries by ID are really simple

https://simbad.cds.unistra.fr/simbad/si ... &Ident=m31

I wonder if there is a similar lookup for things like comets and asteroids that have varying position...

cheers,

Robin
Tom°Dresden

Post by Tom°Dresden »

Hi Robin,
I wonder if there is a similar lookup for things like comets and asteroids that have varying position...
I am not aware of anything like this, you can certainly download the current orbit data, e.g. from the MPC

https://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/M ... ation.html

but you have to calculate the current position yourself. But I'm not that much of an expert, maybe there is such a thing.

But querying fixed objects would really be a great help. Even there you still have the position change J2000 ->JNow and possibly the Proper Motion. However, this may not be so important for photos, as long as the object is in the picture, which is more of a problem with precise annotations.

CS
Thomas
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, grabbing the orbital elements and calculating was my second choice of how to do it for small bodies - hopefully there is some existing library out there that I can use for the calculations as it is easy to make mistakes when converting these sorts of calculations into code.

cheers,

Robin
Tom°Dresden

Post by Tom°Dresden »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

that looks like it would do the job in Python, but SharpCap is largely C# - I'm hoping that there is support for this calculation in the AASharp library. There should be as it covers most of the classic 'Astronomical Algorithms' text by Jean Meuss, but often it's a case of being hard to find the right bit of functionality unless you already know exactly what you are looking for...

cheers,

Robin