Problem calibrating with Siril after shooting

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
TrevorAustin

Problem calibrating with Siril after shooting

Post by TrevorAustin »

Hi,

I normally just process the final livestack fits from Sharpcap, however tonight I tried to process all the captured data from Sharpcap in Siril, registered the lights, took a master dark with Sharpcap, took a master flat with Sharpcap, all looked fine.

However when I try to calibrate it says it can’t use the flat or the dark because they’re a different size. Which they aren’t, looking at the fits files they declare exactly the same resolution. The only difference I can see is that the dark and flat are mono and the lights are 3 channel rgb.

Any ideas? I can’t use the scripts because I didn’t capture any bias frames.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem calibrating with Siril after shooting

Post by admin »

Hi,

a couple of possibilities here...

1) You were trying to load the final saved (stacked) livestack image into Siril - this image will be full 3-channel RGB for a colour camera, since it is essential to convert raw images to RGB to allow the stacking to align frames. In fact, you should never try to process saved stacked images from live stacking with darks or flats - the dark/flat processing has to be done before stacking (in SharpCap) to work properly.

If you saved raw frames during the live stack then it is perfectly fine to use dark/flat processing and stacking on those to re-stack later.

2) You had accidentally set the camera to RGB mode (RGB24 colour space) when live stacking - this would mean that that the saved raw frames when live stacking were only 8 bit depth and had 3 colour channels, making them incompatible with your dark frames (and flat frames) which were probably captured in RAW16 mode.

The best bet is to look at the 'capturesettings.txt' files that SharpCap saves next to the image files - that will allow you to check the camera settings in use when you were capturing to confirm what happened.

cheers,

Robin