How Do I (or can I?) change the default stacking time for Smart HIstogram

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
VinnyV84

How Do I (or can I?) change the default stacking time for Smart HIstogram

Post by VinnyV84 »

Hi! Wondering if its possible to change the default parameter of 1 hour stacking time for the smart histogram. I am new to EAA and really want to use this tool however I am unsure if this default setting of 1 hour stack time will impact the image negatively if I stack for only 20-30 minutes on an image. Thanks in advance for any info!
admin
Site Admin

Re: How Do I (or can I?) change the default stacking time for Smart HIstogram

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, there's a 'Total stacking time' dropdown where you can choose a selection of lengths like 30min and 2hr and so on. However, that won't actually change the recommended exposure/gain settings - all it will do is alter the number of frames that are going to be captured and change the graph that tells you how faint an object you will be able to see.

Because that setting doesn't affect the calculations for best exposure/gain, it's relatively rare to actually both with adjusting it.

cheers,

Robin
VinnyV84

Re: How Do I (or can I?) change the default stacking time for Smart HIstogram

Post by VinnyV84 »

admin wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm Hi,

yes, there's a 'Total stacking time' dropdown where you can choose a selection of lengths like 30min and 2hr and so on. However, that won't actually change the recommended exposure/gain settings - all it will do is alter the number of frames that are going to be captured and change the graph that tells you how faint an object you will be able to see.

Because that setting doesn't affect the calculations for best exposure/gain, it's relatively rare to actually both with adjusting it.

cheers,

Robin
Awesome thank you for the insight Robin, it helps!