Eclipse Sequence Generator

Questions, tips, information and discussions about using the SharpCap Sequencer and Sequence Planner tools
linuxkidd

Re: Eclipse Sequence Generator

Post by linuxkidd »

FYI - I removed the last update ( i.e. I removed the pop-up dialog )...

I was reminded that WIndows 'Home' versions do not include the `msg.exe` file that Pro versions do, and thus, the new script would error out when attempting to run the non-existent file.

There are some other ways to achieve this, I'll be testing and adding those, shortly.

Thanks!
LK
Remote Observatory: At Astronomer's Paradise, Animas, NM
QHY600 PH with Astronomik filters via a Planewave CDK 12.5
AstroPhysics 1100-GTO AE Guided by ONAG-XM + ZWO ASI 174mm-mini
Links: Beyond1AU.com / Allsky / SharpCap Eclipse Sequence Generator
linuxkidd

Post by linuxkidd »

Hi all,
A BIG update to the Sequence Creator -- it now has an optional PowerShell companion script that 'speaks' and pops up notifications during key events. Think of it like the 'Solar Eclipse Timer' Android/iOS app that runs on the computer along side the sequence!

It is optional, you can set 'Use the Powershell Companion Script: ' to 'No' if you'd not like to have the computer speak and pop-up notifications.

Be sure to check the 'Instructions' tab for where to save the companion script so it'll run properly.

Special thanks to Scott Sousa for his contribution of the initial companion script!

Please test and enjoy! Clear Skies!!!
LK
mace

Post by mace »

Thank you and appreciate all the work!

I was testing the powershell script. Noted that the times needed to be in 24 hour format for my system (Win11 fresh install).
Also, for the command line I had to use a "1" for notifications; command line had issues with $true for some reason

Testing with made up numbers to see how the voicing worked/sounded

powershell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command .\scripts\april-2024-solar-eclipse.ps1 -display_windows_notifications 1 -c1 15:53:00 -c2 16:00:00 -c3 16:07:00 -c4 16:15:00

if I used 3:53:00 etc, then the script just fell through.
linuxkidd

Post by linuxkidd »

mace wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:07 pm Thank you and appreciate all the work!

I was testing the powershell script. Noted that the times needed to be in 24 hour format for my system (Win11 fresh install).
Also, for the command line I had to use a "1" for notifications; command line had issues with $true for some reason

Testing with made up numbers to see how the voicing worked/sounded

powershell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command .\scripts\april-2024-solar-eclipse.ps1 -display_windows_notifications 1 -c1 15:53:00 -c2 16:00:00 -c3 16:07:00 -c4 16:15:00

if I used 3:53:00 etc, then the script just fell through.
Hi mace,
Yes, 24 hr time specification is correct - this is intentional as it eliminates need for conversion from the Sequence Generator, and eliminates possible confusion of am / pm, etc.

Interesting regarding the `1` vs `$true` ... Please be sure to test the way it's called from within the sequencer to be sure it'll run as expected during the eclipse. If not, please do let me know so I can tweak the Sequencer.

Thanks!
LK
mace

Post by mace »

Ok, I had confusion with the SharpCap editor that converts your webpage output back to quoted 12h AM/PM values upon load/save.

Another question:
In the webpage output, The code for a capture sub has

DEF SUB partialCollection
SET EXPOSURE TO .005
DELAY 0.025
CAPTURE 1 LIVE FRAMES
SET EXPOSURE TO .0166667
DELAY 0.0833335
CAPTURE 1 LIVE FRAMES
END SUB

Just checking the ordering. Should the Delay be before the capture? or after it?
Is the delay to get the exposure set? or to account for the capture time and save? Would the delay need to be after the capture command?
linuxkidd

Post by linuxkidd »

mace wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:21 pm Just checking the ordering. Should the Delay be before the capture? or after it?
Is the delay to get the exposure set? or to account for the capture time and save? Would the delay need to be after the capture command?
Hi mace,
Thanks for your questions.

* The delay is between any settings change and a subsequent capture
* The delay tries to allow the SharpCap frame buffer to purge so that the start of the capture doesn't have any frames from the old capture settings.

The delay duration is calculated as 5 x the new exposure time, or 2 seconds, whichever is shorter.

This 5x is based on my observing the frame buffer while shooting with various cameras I own... it can be seen in the bottom status bar. My cameras usually saw 1 to 3 frames in the buffer, so 5 felt like a safe, and not excessive amount to wait. :)

Thanks!
LK
mace

Post by mace »

Do I need a delay if using still mode?

Using a ZWO ASI2600MC Duo. Coming from the world of DSLR.
I've researched Live vs Still.
https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.1/#Controlling%20Cameras
Seems Still Mode may be a viable option. Wondered your take since you probably did some research etc.

@Robin, if I set the exposure and gain/offset in Still mode, the use
CAPTURE 1 FRAMES REQUIREGUIDING False
Is there an expected/needed delay before settings are set?

SET EXPOSURE TO 0.2
DELAY 1

vs

SET EXPOSURE TO 0.2

Thanks!
linuxkidd

Post by linuxkidd »

mace wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:40 pm Do I need a delay if using still mode?
Hi mace,
You're correct, still mode does not need the delays. However, my understanding is that still mode has a much lower rate of capture, so you'll end up with far fewer frames vs using video mode. FYI - The Sequence Generator doesn't produce any still capture plans, it always uses video mode.

Thanks,
LK
galljj

Post by galljj »

Is there any way to enable auto exposure, or is it necessary at all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

some cameras do have an auto-exposure option (ZWO, Altair, a few others). However, the sequencing system in SharpCap does not have a way to turn auto-exposure on or off (never noticed that before). That could be worked around by using capture profiles which can re-load saved camera settings including the auto exposure state, but I'm fairly sure that Linuxkidd's generator isn't doing anything like that now. As I understand it, the way it works is to try to select exposures appropriate to the stage of the eclipse and also use 'bracketing' to run captures at a range of different exposures - some will be under-exposed, some over, some just right.

cheers,

Robin