Looading ASTAP database

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
glauria

Looading ASTAP database

Post by glauria »

Hello,

I'm trying to set up ASTAP, and I downloaded the D50 database for in the ASTAP directory. In the configuration tab, Sharpcap asks for the path to the database, and there are two options where it looks for it automatically and manually. In both modes it finds (or I direct it manually) to the folder where the database is (C:/Program Files/astap), but Sharpcap comes back with the following error: "No star database found at c:\Program Files\Astap\ ! Download the h18 (or h17, v1?) and install."

These databases our outdated on the ASTAP website and are no longer available. I checked in the ASTAP directory to see if the D50 database files were there and as far as I can tell, they are (e.g., one file is "d50_0101.1476").

Could someone advise why Sharpcap can't recognize the database files?
Clear skies (without pesky satellites),
-Gene
admin
Site Admin

Re: Looading ASTAP database

Post by admin »

Hi Gene,

I don't think the message about the h17/18 star database is coming direct from SharpCap - it isn't anywhere in the SharpCap code, so I think that Astap is creating that error message. The only thing that SharpCap checks for is that it can find Astap.exe in either the automatic location or the manually specified location.

It sounds like you may have more than one copy of Astap.exe on the computer and that SharpCap is finding the wrong one (the one without any star databases). I would suggest running the Astap.exe listed in the SharpCap settigns manually and seeing if that version can find the star databases.

If you do find you have multiple copies, use the 'Enter Manually' option in SharpCap to choose the astap.exe that you want to use.

cheers,

Robin
glauria

Re: Looading ASTAP database

Post by glauria »

Thanks Robin,

I'll completely uninstall ASTAP and reinstall it.

Clear skies,
-Gene