Focussing tools?

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
melvin

Focussing tools?

Post by melvin »

Hi, it’s been a while but now I have a problem. I have downloaded the relevant drivers for my ZWO EAF focusser but on page 123 of the user manual it says to click on calculate focus score from the tool bar but although I’ve connected the integrated camera I cannot find that calculate focus score, also I can move the focusser but there is nowhere that explains the step size so the focusser only moves a small distance no matter what step size I put in. Is there anywhere that explains. Anyone advise please
admin
Site Admin

Re: Focussing tools?

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you have connected the integrated camera then it sounds like you are viewing the image from the built in webcam in your laptop (lots of them have names like 'Integrated camera'). This camera obviously won't be affected by your ZWO EAF movement - you need to select your actual astro camera as the camera so that you see the effects of movement of the focuser in the focus scores.

As to the step sizes, that has to be set up by trial and error, as the number of steps needed to make a significant change varies depending on the type of electronic focuser and the type of telescope it is attached to. You can adjust the coarse and fine step sizes to suit as shown here : https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.1/#Focuser%20Control - maybe you will find that 500 works for a coarse step and 50 for a fine, or it might be 200 and 20, or 1000 and 100.

You should also get a feel of how many steps it is to go from noticably out of focus one side, through best focus to noticeably out the other side - maybe this is 2500 steps for your setup, in which case you would arrange for automatic focus scans to maybe use 12 measurements 200 steps apart so it would cover that range.

hope this helps,

Robin
melvin

Re: Focussing tools?

Post by melvin »

Thanks Robin. I’m getting ready to image the Sun when we finally have some clear skies.