Polar Align - Auto-rotation of RA axis

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Polar Align - Auto-rotation of RA axis

Post by admin »

Hi Geoff,

yes, looks like something has gone wrong with those buttons - I will investigate. The main movement buttons seem to work fine.

You can test this sort of thing with 'Test Camera 1 (Deep Sky)'. Just open the camera and then load into it a saved image of the area around the pole - that will let the polar align get past the 'stage 1' and on to the rotation stage.

I have attached two such images taken of the area around the north celestial pole, just in case you don't have any to hand. By changing from one image to the other at stage 2 of alignment, you can actually proceed to the adjustment phase and see what the polar align error of my mount was when those images were taken ;)

cheers,

Robin
Attachments
vert_0001.png
vert_0001.png (447.79 KiB) Viewed 411 times
horiz_0001.png
horiz_0001.png (448.47 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Fir Chlis

Post by Fir Chlis »

Thanks for the pictures. I've just had a go standing by the scope and operating the controller laptop directly.

What *seems* to be happening is that when either of the rotate W/E buttons is pressed and held down, SharpCap isn't registering that the button is being held down. I press and hold a button, the mount makes a loud whining sound - evident of a high slew rate - but stops almost immediately.

Hope this helps.

Geoff
Fir Chlis - The Nimble Men (Northern Lights) - Scottish Gaelic
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Geoff,

yes, I tested the movement buttons myself and found the same thing. I made a global change to the code to try to ensure that buttons became disabled while they were doing whatever action they did. That was all well and good for most buttons, but for those movement buttons it stopped the 'repeat' action that they relied on. I have a fix for that and will be uploading a new version later today.

cheers,

Robin
Fir Chlis

Post by Fir Chlis »

Morning Robin

Had the scope out last night, Polar Align took forever - but that's the fault of the hazy clouds, not SharpCap!

The Rotate East/West are now working as expected, so thank you for sorting this out.

Geoff
Fir Chlis - The Nimble Men (Northern Lights) - Scottish Gaelic
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Geoff,

thanks for letting me know it worked - let's hope for clearer skies next time :)

cheers,

Robin