Sharpcap crashes in Planetray Stack

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Oberon510

Sharpcap crashes in Planetray Stack

Post by Oberon510 »

Hi,

I am using the latest version of 4.1 (64bit) 11947 and I have been doing some stacking work on the moon. While in stacking mode Sharpcap crashes when pressing Save to PNG and a couple of times when I turned of imaging brightness check box.

Attached is my log from the last crash. I will start it up with the /dump extension if needed but this has happened about 5 times so it seems odd as it had been working well for a while on the previous version.

Thanks,
Ken
Attachments
Log_2024-03-17T21_22_06-10644.log.zip
(21.86 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap crashes in Planetray Stack

Post by admin »

Hi Ken,

it's running out of memory - it doesn't look like an issue with the code, just that live stacking at the full resolution of your camera uses a lot of memory - the representation of the stack at 9576*6388, 3 colour channels, 32 bits per channel is 750Mb! It would be more if you use the multi-point align option...

When you are just stacking, the 2Gb set up in the memory options is enough, but when you try to save another copy of the image needs to be made to save it, and that seems to push it over the limit.

I'd suggest either increasing the memory settings (Increase 'Live Stacking and Display' to 4Gb, maybe 6Gb), or using 2x2 binning to reduce the image size. The latter may be the best option if the frame stacking rate is slow compared to the normal frame rate of your camera.

cheers,

Robin
Oberon510

Re: Sharpcap crashes in Planetray Stack

Post by Oberon510 »

Thanks Robin - I realized later I was using my full frame camera instead of my APS-C ZWO (on its way to Texas for the eclipse). I will adjust the memory settings.

Ken