Guide Scope Alignment tool

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
fab

Guide Scope Alignment tool

Post by fab »

Hello,

I have just started to use SharpCap Pro more regularly and really liked the many useful and unique tools if offers.
In this spirit, I was looking for tool support aligning a guide scope with the main scope.

I have no distant points in sight which I could use during daytime and aligning based on visible stars is difficult for me.
Would it be a reasonable idea to use plate solving for a camera on the guide scope and compare it to the results of plate solving for a camera on the main scope to get a good alignment during night time?

I guess that I could achieve this by starting two instances of SharpCap and connect them to the two cameras but a single tool with friendly arrows pointing in the direction for perfect alignment could be much more handy. Is this something that could be implemented with a script?

If I missed an existing feature or reason why this is not interesting or feasible, please ignore this post.

Many thanks in advance
admin
Site Admin

Re: Guide Scope Alignment tool

Post by admin »

Hi,

I find the easiest way to do this is using the moon or a very bright star (something magnititude 1-2 or brighter). Get the target in view and centered on the main scope using plate solving and then it should be visible in the guide scope (wider field of view) and you can adjust to center it. If your guide scope is a long way off then the moon is best as you can tell which way to adjust based on the background brightness changing even if the moon is out of view.

cheers,

Robin