Preview Release 4.1.11890

All the latest news about new features and improvements to SharpCap
admin
Site Admin

Preview Release 4.1.11890

Post by admin »

Since I have been keeping the main releases to bug fixes only for a few weeks, they will have been a bit dull for those who like to be right on the bleeding edge of SharpCap new features. So, I thought a preview release might be in order to get a little testing of some of the more interesting recent changes before they go into a release for everyone.

You can download the preview here : https://d.sharpcap.co.uk/download.html? ... 0&arch=x64 (note : 64 bit version only).

Some things of note in this preview that are not in the latest normal update:

* Changes to ASCOM device communications - SharpCap should no longer freeze while waiting for ASCOM hardware devices to connect or to perform an action. This should improve user perception and also the freeze can sometimes have other knock-on effects, so will remove the chances of secondary errors happening that way. It's just possible that in some cases this might allow you to try to take an action two or more times, because SharpCap will remain responsive while waiting for the first button press to take effect. I've tried to catch those possibilities and block them, but might have missed some.

* OGMA and Player One SDK updates to support new models

* Add pad timing step to sequencer for easier scheduling of actions at regular intervals

* Improvements to mosaic auto-align to use smaller movement steps of the mount without loss of accuracy

* Plate solve + resyn can now be used multiple times with the plate solve settings set to 'offset mount' without each subsequent use putting the target further off-center

* Deal with the meridian transit at due North (South in SH) with a flip 'below the pole' in sequencer meridian steps and when calculating time to meridian in target selection window

* Add option for pulsed calibration movements in the lunar/solar framing assistant for mounts with no suitably low movement rate

* PC clock frame timings added per-frame to ADV files when no GPS timings available

* Remove 'advanced DirectShow' support for ToupTek cameras - these are now supported directly via the ToupTek SDK.

cheers,

Robin
stbkaiser

Re: Preview Release 4.1.11890

Post by stbkaiser »

Robin
Thank you for this pre-release.
I noticed you included a:
Add option for pulsed calibration movements in the lunar/solar framing assistant
Very kind of you!
Looking at our current weather forecast, it might be a couple days until we see the stars or the sun again. sigh
When I get a peak of the sun I will try your new pulsed option and let you know the results.

Also really exciting about the new Eclipse Sequence Generator.
Thanks so much for working to make this happen.
Take care
Steve
dizzydlz

Post by dizzydlz »

Is there a help file explaining how the new "pad timing" step works.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's simple enough to explain here...

It will run the steps placed inside it, then when they are done you have two possible outcomes...

1) If the steps inside took less time to run than the 'duration' setting for the pad timing step, the pad timing step will wait for the difference between the two times, meaning that the pad timing step will overall run for its specified duration

2) If the steps inside took *more* time than the duration setting, the pad timing step will end straight away

Overall, it means that the pad timing step cannot finish in less time than the specified duration, but it can take more time if the steps inside over-run the duration.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

just to let people know that all the new stuff in this preview release (and more) is now available in version 4.1.11922, which can be found here : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads

cheers,

Robin
masggid

Post by masggid »

can someone send me a private message regarding how to post a question on this forum? I just joined and frankly, can not find a way to post a new question. I am having a problem with SharpCap just downloaded. There is no view of my target in the live view, or quick capture. I am desperate to get help, as I am on a timeline to learn this software.
Thanks,
Mary A
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

masggid wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:58 pm can someone send me a private message regarding how to post a question on this forum? I just joined and frankly, can not find a way to post a new question. I am having a problem with SharpCap just downloaded. There is no view of my target in the live view, or quick capture. I am desperate to get help, as I am on a timeline to learn this software.
Thanks,
Mary A
Hi Mary

Your first posting has to be approved. This to prevent spammers. You are now approved and can ask your questions where you want in the forum :)

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

masggid wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:58 pm can someone send me a private message regarding how to post a question on this forum? I just joined and frankly, can not find a way to post a new question. I am having a problem with SharpCap just downloaded. There is no view of my target in the live view, or quick capture. I am desperate to get help, as I am on a timeline to learn this software.
Thanks,
Mary A
Good starting points for beginners are

Step 1 - open camera, check frame count is going up in the bottom left
Step 2 - exposure camera to light - check image gets brighter and dark again when sensor covered
Step 3 - adjust exposure and gain when exposed to light, check that the image brightness responds as expected
Step 4 - with camera attached to lens or telescope, try to get an image of a distant object (tree, house, etc) in daytime

Once you succeeded at all of those, then it's time to try for an astronomical target - the moon is usually the best as it will show as some brightness in the camera even if badly out of focus or not quite perfectly aligned.

cheers,

Robin
masggid

Post by masggid »

Thanks, Robin
Now, how to I post a topic or question. I seem not to find a way to post a new question
clear skies,
masggid
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You need to go into one of the forum areas (like 'How do I' or 'Bug Reports'), where you can see a list of existing topics - you should then see a 'New Topic' button on the left above the list of existing topics. You cannot post on the forum home page.

cheers,

Robin