qhy mini guidescope

Burly

qhy mini guidescope

Post by Burly »

Having recently purchased a qhy mini guide scope,used with a qhy5l-11 would i be able to use this with the polar align feature in sharpcap would the fov be adequate ,or would i be better putting in the focuser of my sw 200p .thanks dave
miniGuideScope Specification
Focal length
130mm
Diameter
30mm
F/ ratio
F4.3
Camera Interface
C/CS mount
OTA diameter
31.6mm(Same with QHY5-II series)
Focuser
Front Part Focuser with digit mark and locker
Weight
120g
31293433310_1f3efefa9a_z.jpg
31293433310_1f3efefa9a_z.jpg (96.47 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: qhy mini guidescope

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, that should be fine - if you search for a 'field of view' calculator online and put in the focal length of the guider and the sensor size, you should come out with a field of view somewhere in the 1.5-2 degree range (wider than for the standard 200mm focal length guiders)

cheers,

Robin
Burly

Post by Burly »

Thanks Robin ,will update once i get a chance to see how i get on
Burly

Post by Burly »

UPdate, succesful PA with the qhymini guidescope/qhy5l-11 once i was in the required FOV ,took me a while but that was down to me,
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Excellent - glad to hear it worked :)

Robin
Burly

Post by Burly »

Just an update ,i was struggling to pa in sharcap using sharpcap PA ,i struggled to solve in the first part then when slewed 90 Deg ,failed ,so i changed to a 12mm cctv lens instead of the mini guide scope much easier solved easily ,once i had reverted back to the miniguide scope i rechecked PA this time no problem solving i assume this is because the FOV is smaller using the 130mm FL of the miniguide scope ,so if you do use the miniguide scope you really need to be close to PA for it to work ,as my mount is on a pier i should be able to use the mini guidescope from now on but if you struggle try a 12mm cctv lens £5 ish off ebay, on qhy5l-11, you need the 5mm CS mount not the c mount , i had to shim it approx 2mm making it approx 7mm to reach infinity focus
hope this may be of help to someone .
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

Burly,
I plan on using the polar align for my Astrotrac alignment. The polar scope works fine at 180mm but when i get around to it, was going to test a 400mm lens; expecting to need spot on alignment.

For this i was looking at the QHY MINIGUIDESCOPE but you have used a CS lens? Sounds interesting if you have more details please.

I wonder if one of the right fl. Could be used for both alignment and guiding. My Altair 290M has CS adapters and i have the tripod clamp. In theory i could mount one in a rigid and lightweight format to the 400mm lens.

Thanks Rob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can buy 25mm C mount lenses with variable aperture from ebay (delivered from China) for about £12. They are incredibly useful - I have several for testing various cameras. If you can't wait the 2-3 weeks for delivery from china then you can get them for about twice the price from local stock sellers.

Something like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Television-T ... SwK7xbdtdq

Robin
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

Not had chance to test yet but picked up a cheap 16mm cs lens. FoV is much larger than 2deg but if Burly had success with a 12mm its worth a try.

I also have a light nikon lens (330g) 70-200mm i can mount on the 290M with a TS filter box.

After polar aligning i can easily remove as have fitted using an arca plate. Or could leave on and dual image or guide. Still weighs less than a 50mm guide scope and hardware.

Will see which works when get a clear weekend.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Rob

I use one of these for bench testing cameras.
CCTVlens.JPG
CCTVlens.JPG (26.21 KiB) Viewed 4687 times

I bought 2 off eBay for around £11 including postage from China (how do they do that?) They are CS mount. You can borrow one to try if you want - contact me by email.

Dave