ZWO 533 Issues

garyhawkins

ZWO 533 Issues

Post by garyhawkins »

Hi Kaymann,

Were you able to determine the current firmware version for the 533MC-P? I'm currently experiencing a USB connection issue and wonder if a firmware upgrade might help to solve this. I download the ZWO firmware update tool, but it did not come with the firmware and I currently cannot locate it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Gary
Menno555

Re: ZWO Firmware Updates

Post by Menno555 »

The new Zwo site has sadly almost no info now with their downloads :(
I do know the firmware updates for the cameras are for the ASI034MC, ASI120MC, ASI120MM and ASI130MM.
SO no firmware for newer camera's like the 533.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Re: ZWO Firmware Updates

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, the only firmware update I know of for ZWO was for the very early cameras, and it was an update that you only needed for compatibility with non-Windows operating systems (something to do with USB packet sizes I think).

USB connection issues are most often caused by over-long cables or an excessively high setting of the 'Turbo USB' camera setting. You can find some more info on things to try when you suspect USB issues here : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=349&p=1556#p1556

cheers,

Robin
garyhawkins

Re: Troubleshooting USB Issues

Post by garyhawkins »

Hi Robin & Dave,

These are some great additional points to check. My current laptop does not have the USB ports to support connecting the cameras directly back, although, in my current situation, the 533MC is directly connected to the laptop and acts as a hub to aggregate data coming from another hub and the imaging coming from my guide camera. I would need to install a NUC on the OTA to reduce the number of hubs being used.

Also, I must say, I like the mount USB coming back directly to the laptop. This allows control of the mount in the event the OTA hardware fails in any way.

Best regards,

Gary
garyhawkins

Post by garyhawkins »

Hi Robin and Dave,

I have disabled selective suspend to see if this makes any difference. If this does not solve the problem, I'll provide the diagnostic information requested.

Thanks,

Gary
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Gary

Are you running the 533 with a power supply? If not try running the camera with one.

Dave
tmnathe

Re: ZWO 533 Issues

Post by tmnathe »

Something that I did and quite by accident too.

MY QHY 163 Camera uses USB 3 SpeedSpeed. And while my PC has USB 3, it's not the SuperSpeed variety.

Out of sheer desperation, I connected a USB 2 relay cable between the camera and the PC. Oddly enough, it works!
I found out that these extension cables, to get their long length, convert the UBB into an ethernet signal and back again.

And while you certainly don't have the speed, in a pinch, this will get you by.
admin
Site Admin

Re: ZWO 533 Issues

Post by admin »

Hi,

a nice little trick - thanks for sharing. I have seen similar things before where very rarely a camera will not work when connected direct to the PC, but will work when connected via a hub... Weird, but happens sometimes,

cheers,

Robin