Capture Area issues

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
DrAstro

Capture Area issues

Post by DrAstro »

I'm testing exposure times/Capture Area settings in Sharpcap with a QHY174GPS camera.

Q1. After reducing the Capture Area, the "live view" no longer works. Is that be design?

Q2. After changing the Capture Area to 640x480 and invoking the FOI, I recorded a minute of data at 10ms to see how the faster exposure time held up on my computer. Once I did this, I am not able to resect the Capture Area back to the full 1920x1080 (native camera resolution). The software only allows me to drill down to smaller FOIs. Again, is this by design or is there a way to start over? I tried disconnecting the camera and restarting it. This did not work. I had to shut down SharpCap and restart it in order to reset the Camera Area to full size.

Regards,

DrAstro
admin
Site Admin

Re: Capture Area issues

Post by admin »

Hi,

can you check that your version of SharpCap is right up to date (https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads) please. The issue with not being able to go back to larger ROI or full resolution sounds like a problem that was introduced and then fairly rapidly fixed about 3 to 6 months ago.

I have just tested my QHY174MGPS with the latest version and it seems to be running fine, allowing the ROI to be reduced and then enlarged and the live view works after ROI change, so hopefully the latest version will work fine for you too.

thanks,

Robin
DrAstro

Post by DrAstro »

Robin,

I updated to 4.1.1804.

The menu now works correctly when I change the FOI, but....

The live view still only works if I select 1920x1080, selecting any other camera area and the live view freezes.
Is this user error?
DrAstro

Post by DrAstro »

A bit more information.

As I mentioned, the live view on the screen doesn't change, but the histogram does change, such as when I cover up the front of the camera.

Vince
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Vince,

that's interesting - it sounds like the main display is failing to update but everything else (frames coming from the camera, histogram updating, etc) must be working. Does any error/warning get recorded in the log when you change to a lower ROI? Do you get correct recorded files if you capture to SER and play that back.

cheers,

Robin