iOptron AEF focuser ?

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
ScopesNC

iOptron AEF focuser ?

Post by ScopesNC »

I have both a ZWO and iOptron EAF. I like the iOptron and its build much better and would like to use it with SC. However it does not seem to work with the auto focus in SC. The ZWO works and we all know this. SC sees the iOptron focuser yet doesn't move the focuser or adjust the focus. I know it is connected or seems to be.
ZWO seems to work just fine. What am I missing on this? I'm assuming it is an operator issue at this point. I know it is an open question with maybe many answers also. Yes ASCOM driver is installed for the iOptron focuser and yes it is connected and SC does see it. Just won't work it. Ideas, hints, anything helpful?
Chuckwagon

Re: iOptron AEF focuser ?

Post by Chuckwagon »

You may have already checked this, but is your firmware up to date? I recall seeing a comment on the iOptron site where a user had a similar issue as you describe and a firmware update solved it. Worth a look at least.

Good luck.

Chuck
ScopesNC

Post by ScopesNC »

Chuck
I'll check again. Thanks for the input
ScopesNC

Post by ScopesNC »

Here is what I have done to try and solve this issue. None of it has worked.
I have reloaded all ASCOM drivers and the iOptron software.
I have checked and I know for certain that the USB com port is working and the PC in fact sees the focuser.
Not sure why it is a com port ,but that is what iOptron instructions say. They even make you use com port 6. Which I am doing.
So it seems it is a USB serial connection. Wouldn't think that matters as long as the PC sees it.
I even took the focuser and set it on the table and hooked it up directly to the PC. It sees it in device manager also. Device is working properly.

iOptron Commander doesn't see the focuser.
SharpCap doesn't see the focuser.

I do not understand why SC can't see the focuser at this point.
What am I missing here on this.
This should be a simple connection.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

having these devices connect as a simulated serial port via USB is fairly common - it's pretty simple for the manufacturers to implement on the hardware side and to write code for it on the software side.

Are you absolutely sure that COM6 is the right port? As far as I was aware there is no way for a device to choose the port number it gets, so yours could end up as COM<some other number> on your PC (after all, what would happen if it was set to always be COM6 and some other device was already COM6). I've certainly had cases where the COM port numbers switch around after some other change to the hardware connected to the PC, so its worth trying all the alternatives that are present, just in case...

Have you managed to get *anything* to convince the focuser to move yet? If it is failing to work in iOptron and in SharpCap then it is either some configuration setting common to both (ie COM port or something similar) or, potentially, a hardware error.

Just to cover all the options...

* If you can, try another PC, and a different USB cable
* If the device has a 12V power requirement, is it connected? I know the ZWO focusers can run just from USB power, but other types do require 12V, so not sure which sort the iOptron is.

cheers,

Robin
ScopesNC

Post by ScopesNC »

Well I did manage to get my ZWO focuser to work. The iOptron focuser doesn't work with SC. Works with other programs but not SC.
The only difference I can find is this. ZWO focuser is a USB only connection as seen by my PC. The iOptron focuser is seen as a com port even though it is a USB cable connection. Not sure if that makes any difference but the ZWO works the iOptron doesn't. Both work with other programs.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thinking about it, we have had some problems in the past with iOptron ASCOM drivers in SharpCap - they seem to include some software protection to stop people from reverse engineering them. SharpCap also has that sort of protection, and for the ASCOM mount drivers, it looked as though the two were possibly clashing with each other.

I would suggest trying to use the iOptron via the ASCOM 'Device Hub Focuser' - you set that as the focuser in SharpCap and then configure the ASCOM device hub to talk to the iOptron. That can be a very helpful approach when for one reason or another an ASCOM driver misbehaves in a particular application.

cheers,

Robin
ScopesNC

Post by ScopesNC »

Robin
Thanks for the reply. I will give your suggestion a try. Fingers crossed. LOL

Glad you remembered this about iOptron .
ScopesNC

Post by ScopesNC »

Robin

Your suggestion did work. Using the ASCOM Device hub allows SC to see and work with the iOptron focuser.
Thank you and good memory recall on that.
Sorry it took so long to get back with an update on this. Other life issues sometimes take priority over astronomy.
I know hard to believe right? :D :D
Again, very much thanks for your help.