Full Catalog

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
RavensNest

Full Catalog

Post by RavensNest »

I have been using Sharpcap for a few years and think it is an amazing product so thanks for providing it. I run the Pro version and have transitioned to mostly EAA using a ZWO533MC Pro with a C9.25 and Hyperstar. Just recently I managed to get a remote setup working so the scope is out in the 5 degree temps and I am warm in the house. Two questions or comments -

I was previously able to target NGC2359 Thors Helmet with the Celestron hand controller but can not find it in the Full Catalog. Is it there and I am missing it?

To help plan my imaging sessions I would like to be able to access the Full Catalog without have to be hooked up to the scope and possibly add the next targets to the Select a Target window ahead of time. Is there a way to do that? The scope is remote and powered down during the day so it would be more convenient to not wear the batteries down just to plan out a session.

Thanks
Wayne
Celestron Evo9.25 with Hyperstar, Nexstar11 GPS (X2) and Celestron 5i, ZWO 553 MC Pro, ZWO294MC and ZWO294MC Pro.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Full Catalog

Post by admin »

Hi Wayne,

Thor's Helmet is still in the full catalog - if you are not seeing it then it's likely that one of the filters (top left) is excluding it, or that you do not have the appropriate 'Object Type' ticked at the top right. In the catalog, NGC2359 is an 'HII Ionized region', so it wouldn't show up if you just had the various types of Nebula ticked.

If you search by name or ID and there are targets that exist in the catalog but are not being shown due to the filters/selected object types then a little hint shows up below the search box to tell you, as shown below...
Screenshot 2024-02-21 131139.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-21 131139.jpg (26.98 KiB) Viewed 205 times
Right now the whole target selection is designed around picking the targets 'live' - all the positions and times until meridian/setting are calculated for the current time. I have been wondering if there should be a way to pick a target that will be in a good position later, but haven't got a solution for that problem yet.

cheers,

Robin