Graphical glitch or just wrong?

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Chris_h

Graphical glitch or just wrong?

Post by Chris_h »

I have brightness set to 95%, and I'm hitting 130%! :lol: The previous version didn't do this, so a glitch?
sc.jpg
sc.jpg (63.09 KiB) Viewed 223 times
- Chris
admin
Site Admin

Re: Graphical glitch or just wrong?

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

the brightness is plotted as a percentage value relative to the mean brightness over the time interval shown - that means that values of more than 100% are quite natural - they are brighter than the mean. If you had particularly variable conditions with a thin haze breaking from time to time then you could expect a plot like the one shown where the odd frame measures as significantly brighter than the mean. This can also happen due to random variability if the number of stars is fairly small... On some frames one star or another may not be detected and that can cause variation in the calculated mean brightness value.

Overall, I don't think there is anything to worry about - just different conditions this time around...

cheers,

Robin
Chris_h

Post by Chris_h »

Thanks Robin, makes sense. So it still respects the % setting I choose?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, remembering that the % level you set is a % of the mean brightness, which will itself change if the conditions change.

cheers,

Robin
Chris_h

Post by Chris_h »

Cheers Robin!