Meridian Flip from West to East

Questions, tips, information and discussions about using the SharpCap Sequencer and Sequence Planner tools
giraud

Meridian Flip from West to East

Post by giraud »

HI Robin,

I am using my meridian flip routine with no issue, when crossing from East to West.

For the first time I am using it when crossing from East to West as I am imaging the Iris Nebulae as it travels "below" Polaris. And I realized that the meridian flip didn't trigger, and it was supposed to do it around midnight.

I can't figure out if it comes from my routine of from the Sharpcap Meridan flip process.

Your support would be welcome.

Cheers,
Eric.
Attachments
Log_2024-02-13T19_51_00-6668 - Copie.log
(677.64 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Meridian Flip from West to East

Post by admin »

Hi Eric,

I will have to check if the flip code handles the case where the flip is in the north... For that matter, I'd better check what happens for Southern hemisphere observers! It could be that the crossing of the meridian towards the pole is never noticed, so nothing triggers the flip to happen...

cheers,

Robin
giraud

Post by giraud »

If that is not the case (that "the flip code handles the case where the flip is in the north"), I could then replace my triggering line that is currently "Stop running these step when -1° from the meridian" to "Stop running these step when -181° from the meridian". I should have to adapt the value, -1 or -181, in anticipation of the kind of session that I plan for the night.

Cheers,
Eric.
giraud

Post by giraud »

I have just tried and that doesn't work as a value as high as 181 is not accepted by Sharpcap.

Cheers,
Eric.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, I had a look at the code, and it only handles the case of the flip at HA = 0/24, not at HA=12/-12. I will need to rewrite that section to handle both cases, then 'degrees from meridian' will apply to the next meridian to be encountered.

cheers,

Robin
giraud

Post by giraud »

That will be great! Thanks Robin.

Cheers.
Eric.
giraud

Post by giraud »

Hello Robin,

Could you please let me know if you have implemented this modification in one of latest releases?

Many thanks.

Cheers,
Eric.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Eric,

yes, I implemented changes to deal with the possibility of a flip from west to east through north under the pole. This is also accounted for in the 'time to meridian' info in the extended target list too.

I've only tested this in simulation, since the neighbours trees block out anything lower than polaris from my observatory, but it seemed to work.

cheers,

Robin
giraud

Post by giraud »

Thanks robin, that's great news!

I just had someone to trim my tree to the North a week ago! If you don't hear from me during this month, then it will be all good!

Cheers,
Eric.