Repeat every X seconds

Questions, tips, information and discussions about using the SharpCap Sequencer and Sequence Planner tools
dizzydlz

Repeat every X seconds

Post by dizzydlz »

I was experimenting with the sequencer and was looking to make a loop that repeats itself exactly every so many seconds. I can use the wait command in the sequence however if there are captures taking place in the repeat loop, the captures are not always exactly the same length of time. When capturing live frames with a lot of repeats the time gradually creeps past the intended time where I wish the loop to end. I am very new to this so forgive me if what I ask is obvious or not an intended feature for the sequence planner.
I am working in the planner on a sequence that captures say 20 live frames at every 1% of the eclipse. Instead of making a separate time for each of the capture time points, my plan is to repeat the capture every 46.19 seconds to capture each 1% of phase and end in time for the main event where I will start other sequences. Would capturing exactly 4 seconds of live frames instead of a set amount of frames (my camera does around 5 live frames per sec) then subtract the 4 seconds from the intended repeat loop delay get me closer to my target end time.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Repeat every X seconds

Post by admin »

Hi,

You are right that there is no real way to do this in the sequencing tool at the moment, and there will always be variability in the timings of camera related steps that mean that any attempt to implement it with carefully set delays is going to be approximate at best (for instance, disk write speed drops - even on SSDs - as the disk fills, which could impact capture timings).

Fortunately it's relatively easy to add new steps to the sequencer - they are independent of each other, so adding a new one is incredibly unlikely to break or even impact any existing functionality. Would a step that was 'repeat everty 46.2 seconds' (with no limit to how long it continues for) work for you? I suppose you could have a version that also had a count limit if that is preferable, or you could use a 'run these steps until' block to limit how long the loop runs...

cheers,

Robin