Ra and dec grid

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Gfischer

Ra and dec grid

Post by Gfischer »

Once I have plate solved I know I can annotate objects. Is there a setting to put up a grid pattern in ra and dec?
I use a eq platform and I would like to orient camera north top.

Thanks
George
admin
Site Admin

Re: Ra and dec grid

Post by admin »

Hi George,

there is no true grid, but there is a tool called 'Pixel Position/Click to Recenter' that gives you an overlaid compass points type graphic showing the RA/Dec (and Alt/Az with a GOTO mount) directions. I think that should be enough to help you adjust, although you would need to re-plate-solve after any rotation to confirm the effect.

https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.1/#Pixel% ... 20Recentre

cheers,

Robin
Gfischer

Post by Gfischer »

I’m using a manual dob on a equatorial platform would this work without GOTO mount? I use the drift method to polar align and I shut off drive and turn on reticle. I let stars drift through view and rotate camera until trails are parallel to horizontal reticle. Not a big deal but wondered if there was another way.

George

George
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi George,

with a manual telescope you can still get to see the RA/Dec axis directions using this technique, but I don't think it will show the alt/az directions. Not sure why really, since if you know the time and lat/long of the observer then it ought to be able to work it out...

Still, I think that seeing the RA/Dec directions should be fine for your requirements.

cheers,

Robin