got multiple crashes using the surface stabilization on the Moon

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
DrBobAZ

got multiple crashes using the surface stabilization on the Moon

Post by DrBobAZ »

Hi

Sent them along as automatic crash reports around 5:00UT.

I tried different ROI, and still got it. Surface, multiple point, I think it was the latest version.

I pretended that I was capturing a planet and used feature tracking, with planet/disk selected and a single point, and I stopped getting the crashes.

Not sure what is going on, and I realize my work around was a kludge.

Seeing was terrible, I'm showing the livestack using the planetary kludge, and 1024x768 ROI. The quality fluctuates from less than 4 to over 6 (I think that's pretty bad) and yet the stack was reasonably decent. This was an attempt at a mineral moon as well, but not sure the colors are true, but the point is that even the 'wrong' livestack settings create a 'pleasing' result. :D

Bob
screenquality.png
screenquality.png (957.09 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: got multiple crashes using the surface stabilization on the Moon

Post by admin »

Hi Bob,

thanks for sending the bug reports - always useful. I have located them and I can work out from the info the problem that is causing the crash. Unfortunately, it looks like that problem was a result of something else not quite being right and I have to try to work backwards to understand what the initial issue could be. I'm sure I'll get there with a bit of time :)

I have some new improvements coming next week based on my own testing with the moon last night - a performance boost for the 'Fine' sharpening tool with colour cameras to make the image update more rapidly and some further improvements to 'Fine' sharpening too, giving an extended range of sharpening strengths.

I was also having trouble with the auto-colour-balance last night - it worked well enough if you have saturation=1, but if you have turned it up to 10 or more for the mineral moon effect, the 'auto' results were always far enough out to give a significant colour cast of one sort or another. I'm going to look into that.

As you say, it's great that you can get a pleasing image even when it's not working 100% - it will be even better when I find and fix whatever the bug is, and there is still so much scope for further improvement in the code!

cheers,

Robin
DrBobAZ

Post by DrBobAZ »

thanks Robin

Really appreciate your efforts.

"I was also having trouble with the auto-colour-balance last night - it worked well enough if you have saturation=1, but if you have turned it up to 10 or more for the mineral moon effect, the 'auto' results were always far enough out to give a significant colour cast of one sort or another. I'm going to look into that"

I saw exactly that last night as well. I just reverted to manual color balance. Not a biggie

Bob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The colour balance is largely fixed now ;) It works well enough now to turn the saturation up to 10 or 20 without needing additional tweaks to the balance (or at least, not big ones).

cheers,

Robin
DrBobAZ

Post by DrBobAZ »

admin wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:59 pm Hi Bob,

thanks for sending the bug reports - always useful. I have located them and I can work out from the info the problem that is causing the crash. Unfortunately, it looks like that problem was a result of something else not quite being right and I have to try to work backwards to understand what the initial issue could be. I'm sure I'll get there with a bit of time :)

I have some new improvements coming next week based on my own testing with the moon last night - a performance boost for the 'Fine' sharpening tool with colour cameras to make the image update more rapidly and some further improvements to 'Fine' sharpening too, giving an extended range of sharpening strengths.

I was also having trouble with the auto-colour-balance last night - it worked well enough if you have saturation=1, but if you have turned it up to 10 or more for the mineral moon effect, the 'auto' results were always far enough out to give a significant colour cast of one sort or another. I'm going to look into that.

As you say, it's great that you can get a pleasing image even when it's not working 100% - it will be even better when I find and fix whatever the bug is, and there is still so much scope for further improvement in the code!

cheers,

Robin

Hi Robin

I got a couple more crashes like this with the newest version on 01/27/24 around 5:00UT.

The same fix I used before patched it, but I may have more insight. It crashed when I was doing surface/multiple points with the reduced ROI filled with surface (Moon). The camera I used was an asi678mc.

Last night, I had the Moon full disk (dark space around the entire surface), but used surface multiple points and an asi294mc with reduced ROI, and saw NO crash.

I realize this is not a clean experiment, because I changed both camera and the extent to which the surface fills the view, but perhaps it could be of some use to you.

Bob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Bob,

I do have another fix already coming up for this week that should address an issue in this area - I will check for your bug reports later, but I suspect (hope) that they will be the same as the issue I fixed a few days ago.

cheers,

Robin